Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Neck pain from rifle scope position >

Neck pain from rifle scope position

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Neck pain from rifle scope position

Old 11-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Spike

Default Neck pain from rifle scope position

I recently purchased a Ruger 10/22 and a Vortex Crossfire 2 scope. The shop I bought them from mounted the scope on for free. I was really straining my neck backwards to try and get the proper eye relief, with no luck. Today I finally moved the scope as far towards the muzzle as I possibly can, and I still have to hold the rifle butt about 2 inches away from my shoulder to reach a comfortable position with the correct eye relief. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I'm new to the hunting world. I am a veteran, and because of that I learned to use a variety of weapons. However, this is my first time using any optics. This is my first gun purchase and I've never done any modding. I would prefer to spend as little as possible to make this work comfortably for now.
Attached Thumbnails Neck pain from rifle scope position-20191115_010457.jpg  

Last edited by anillo; 11-14-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 11-15-2019, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

first off welcome to the site
next , YES there are lots of things you an do, I still see there is a LITTLE room left on the base to be slide forward a LITTLE more, and that will THEN allow you to move the scope a little farther forward, NOT going to be two inches , but will add some
if that doesn't work, your next option I think, might be finding a scope with different eye relief, as maybe this scope doesn't offer what you need in that, I have never seen this brand /model scope so don;t know the spec's on it, !
and
I have to ask, how tall are you? as this set up normally works for 99% of shooters, unless you have extremely long arms, , this should be working for you, NOT bashing, just asking
are you sure your using good shooting form here? again, asking as I don;t know your experience level?

as most folks tend to get neck pains from a scope being mounted too high, but most all have enough adjustment for eye relief between the ability to slide the scope in the mounts and or slide the bases on the receiver!?
or bad shooting form!

IF the issue is ,
the actual rifle itself needs to be held OFF your shoulder 2 inches, pushing it forward like, MAYBE you should try adding a thicker recoil pad to the stock, this will then make the stock longer for you and between that and that extra room I mentioned above on how can still be moved forward some, should solve your problem

another option will be a whole new stock, that has a longer length of pull(distance from butt of gun to palm/trigger, this will again keep rifle butt on your shoulder and allo more room between scope and your eye!
this would be the most costly option IMO, or the new scope would be, if you chose to do that
Old 11-15-2019, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

It appears you have the scope as far forward as possible with that ring and rail combination. If this is still too far rearward for you, then you’ll need to purchase a set of rings with an offset ring included, if not a pair of offset rings. No endorsement for the rings pictured below, only providing the photo as reference to describe offset rings, if you’re not familiar with this type of gear.
Attached Thumbnails Neck pain from rifle scope position-a34c992b-ab87-44bb-aed5-4898a2b23c8e.jpeg  
Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 AM
Spike

Thanks mrbb.

I have never seen this brand /model scope so don;t know the spec's on it
It's a 3-9 x 40. Is that the spec's you need?

I have to ask, how tall are you? as this set up normally works for 99% of shooters, unless you have extremely long arms, , this should be working for you, NOT bashing, just asking
are you sure your using good shooting form here? again, asking as I don;t know your experience level?
I'm 6'3" and very slender. I believe my shooting form is at least decent. I haven't had any training or held a firearm in over a decade, so I could be off on that.

most all have enough adjustment for eye relief between the ability to slide the scope in the mounts and or slide the bases on the receiver
I don't think my base can slide forward. Like I said, I did not mount it, so I don't know for sure. I definitely do not have the equipment needed to remove everything down to the base and start over. Are there better bases out there that allow more flexibility? I don't even know which one I have, but it was inexpensive.

It appears you have the scope as far forward as possible with that ring and rail combination. If this is still too far rearward for you, then you’ll need to purchase a set of rings with an offset ring included, if not a pair of offset rings.
Thanks Nomercy. I didn't know these existed. I will definitely look into these

Since I am brand new to using a scope, I do have a couple extra questions. Would all of these issues be fixed if I took the weapon to a quality gunsmith to remount the scope for me? Possibly with a different base? Or is this an issue that I should be addressing myself? I don't own a gun vise or levels, but if the purchases would be worth every penny then that's something I'll consider within the coming months. I read eye relief is different for everyone, so I'm assuming no gunsmith could get the eye relief problem fixed perfectly.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, a Smith, or any decent gun shop, can figure this out for you and get you what you need. And get you set up.

You can do it yourself as well. You seem intelligent.

-Jake
Old 11-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Did you try the Vortex Crossfire ll for .22 caliber rifle? It's shorter in length by slightly over an inch and the 2-7 adjustable range is ideal for a .22.

Also, perhaps a longer rail would give you the relief you need.

Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 11-15-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK let me correct myself, the mounts on your scope are not the sliding type that just grab a dovetail,(I have bad eyes so didn;t look very well this morning)
but looks like you can use that type if wanted
OR just as Nomercy r said, get offset rings,
here is what they will look like, they will allow you reverse as need to allow more room for the scope to be slid forward to get you more eye relief

Amazon Amazon

https://monstrumtactical.com/offset-...e-scope-rings/

and NO< as for specs on scope I was asking for is the ACTUAL amount of eye relief the model YOU have , has!
everyu make model scope can have different amounts of eye relief, tyhere NOT all the same

the 3x9x40, is the, magnification range of the scope(3x9) and the 40, means how many MM the objective lens is, has nothing to do with eye relief amounts, as some 3x9x40 will have more or less eye relief than same scope from another maker, or even just mode l from same maker, these spec's should be in the owners manual or on the makers web site if not!

but either addling a larger recoil pad, or getting reverse scope rings will be the easiest fix here for you!
many TALL guys with LONG arms, need more length of pull on rifle stocks, and adding thicker or spacers at the butt of the stock is one way to get this done, and will normally make the gun fit better on you
JUST adding new rings, does nothing for the fitting of the GUN to you!
just pushes the scope farther forward !
Old 11-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you don't want to foot the bill for new rings you can try a slip on recoil pad which you can likely pick up at Walmart. Something like the one on this link. It will add a little over an inch to your length of pull. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gear-Sout...l-Pad/45821263
Old 11-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Spike

Copy + pasted this from their webpage. The box says "long eye relief"

Magnification 3-9x
Objective Lens Diameter 40 mm
Eye Relief 3.8 inches
Field of View 34.1-12.6 ft/100 yds
Tube Size 1 inch
Turret Style Capped
Adjustment Graduation 1/4 MOA
Travel Per Rotation 15 MOA
Max Elevation Adjustment 60 MOA
Max Windage Adjustment 60 MOA
Parallax Setting 100 yards
Length 11.86 inches
Weight 15 oz

I went out and looked at some recoil pads and offset rings today. I didn't see any pads that I think will move that scope far enough away from me on its own. I'll probably start with the rings, and go from there
Old 11-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never condoned the use of a recoil pad, or otherwise a stock spacer, to correct eye relief of an optic.

The Length of Pull (LOP) of a stock is a critical dimension to fit the rifle to the shorter for ergonomics, control, and recoil management. Adding an unnecessary stock spacer or recoil pad acting as a spacer increases the LOP - this might compromise the shooter’s cheek weld and wrist position, and increase felt recoil and decrease control over the rifle by causing a poor fit. Rifles, rails, rings, and optics are designed to allow for the optic to be positioned appropriately in front of the shooter’s eye when the stock is properly fit to the shoulder and the cheek weld properly made on the stock. If you’re straining to get your head back far enough, I’d guess you’re at least an inch too close in your natural position, likely 2” behind where your cheek weld SHOULD be when cheeking the rifle. Adding that much pad instead of correcting with rings would put a standard 10/22 at 15.5” LOP, which, for a point in space, would be 2 1/4” too long for me, a shooter with a 6’1” wingspan.

It’s a bandaid fix at best. Arm wrestling with yourself about spending $30 for a slip on recoil pad which doesn’t fix the actual problem instead of spending the same $30 for offset rings which DO fix the actual problem doesn’t make sense to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.