Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Replacement front sight >

Replacement front sight

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Replacement front sight

Old 11-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Replacement front sight

Hello,

I am looking to replace the front sight on a Hastings paradox barrel I have, the front sight has a horrible brass insert. I found on Hastings website that a replacement front sight measures 10mm or .394" wide and 8mm or .315" high but still has the brass insert. I found that HiViz makes a front sight that is 5/16 high which I feel should be close enough to make up the difference with rear site adjustment but I'm concerned that the dovetail is 3/8". Will the roughly .020" width difference make the sight too loose? Any suggestions on how to make it work or a different sight I could use?
Old 11-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to do a bit of geometry tomorrow to determine if any tricks like peening the dovetail or staking the bottom, or even shimming would work, but at first blush, it’s clear the 3/8” dovetail HiViz sight will absolutely not drop into your 10mm dovetail slot. It will be undersized and too loose. Shimming MAY work, but again, I’d want to do the geometry before I spent the money.

Failing success from these tricks, I have bought sights from Fermin Garza, he could potentially produce a custom sight for your desires. I’ve only bought revolver sights from him, and they’re not cheap, but the quality is second to none.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Here is a link to the sight on Hastings website.

https://www.hastingsdistribution.com...t_detail&p=106
Old 11-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the 10mm “width” the body width, as in left to right adjustment span, or the length of the dovetail? Your post implied the latter, but it may be worth confirming with Hastings the actual dimensions of the dovetail.

You also have the option of buying another Hastings sight of the appropriate height, then milling off the brass bead and drilling the blade to insert a fiber optic rod.