Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Guard Screw

Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Guard Screw

Does anyone know where I can get a front trigger guard screw for a M96 & M38 Swedish Mauser that is a little longer then the military one? It needs to be about 3/16 inch longer to get a good bite. It has a custom stock that is a little thicker then the military one and the military screw only gets a thread or two bite as is. Thanks
Old 06-22-2019, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try here. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...arts/index.htm
Old 06-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

We have a machine shop locally that has every kind of nut,bolt, screw, gasket, seal, o-ring, pin, even mower belts imagineable. And if they don't have it they can find a way to order it.

I've used them a few times to find stuff that I couldn't find listed online. It might not be factory correct, but something to consider anyway.

They can match up the threads and the head and then get you the proper length.

-Jake
Old 06-23-2019, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I tried Brownells and they used to have something that would work but it is discontinued( a rear screw that was threaded almost all the way up. It would have to be shortened but would work). If nothing else I will see if I can get someone to thread a rear guard screw up as far as the front one is and cut it off 3/16 inch longer then the normal front screw. Dress the cut up and it should work. Or maybe a screw with the correct threads can be found even if the head had to be made to fit. I will keep looking.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try one of these: https://www.google.com/search?source...10.rrTFF8Hhc-g
Old 06-26-2019, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Oldtimr, you must have put some time in looking all of this up. I see that threading a longer screw is not as simple as it seems. I noticed that the head of the screw that I have may be binding in the trigger guard hole and not letting it seat entirely. I have ordered a new set of guard screws to see if they will work better. If not, I will see if I can reduce the head diameter of the one that I have to let it seat all of the way. Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Let us know what you figure out

-Jake
Old 06-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a pair of new guard screws today. I did not try the rear one but the front one has a head diameter that is too large to fit in the hole. It seems to be a little larger then the old one. So I am grinding the bottom of the head of the old one to get it to bottom in the guard hole, hopefully that will work. The trigger guard is new old stock that I bought 25 or 30 years ago, I think it was made as a spare part for the M38 version, I could ream out the hole that the screw head fits in but I would rather mess with the screw then the guard.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry late to see this, but have you tried these guys, they stock a LOT of PARTS< sort of there name to fame many decades ago!

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#...edish%20Mauser
Old 06-27-2019, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the info guys. I reduced the diameter of the screw head which allowed it to seat lower in the pocket and all was well. I suppose I should take it back out and blue the sides of the head which I will do although it does not show when the screw is in place. I hope this helps someone else out that has the same problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.