Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Stevens Crackshot 26 >

Stevens Crackshot 26

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Stevens Crackshot 26

Old 12-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stevens Crackshot 26

I have one of these old falling block 22's that I am having the receiver changed out on. The takedown screw that is on the bottom of the receiver seems to be difficult to remove from the receiver. I don't want to ruin it because they are hard to find and pricey. It works fine holding the barrel on, it just gets tight when I try to remove it from the receiver. Is anyone familiar with this? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

A combination of oil, pliers and easy going got the takedown screw out. Now to get a gunsmith to swap the hammer, trigger, lever, etc. from the old to the new. A great old gun, may be 100 years old.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Those are neat and handy little rifles

Have you shot yours? How does it shoot?

-Jake
Old 01-27-2019, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, I have not shot it. It is a replacement for one that my grandfather gave to my father when he was young, he was born in 1902 so it was an early one before Savage put their mark on the receiver. It was the first gun that I shot as a little kid and I hunted with it while I was growing up. When I was away in the military my father sold it and his grandfather's civil war rifle, not thinking that they were important to anyone else. My son came across one awhile back and gave it to me while I was in the hospital. It was a great pick-me-up. It is not my father's gun, being one of the SVG marked models but it brought back memories. The bore is in very good condition with no rust but the receiver had issues that someone had taken a hacksaw to. I found a replacement receiver and it is all at a gunsmiths now having the parts swapped. I tried to change the hammer, lever, trigger myself and did not have enough hands(no vice to hold it in) to get it done. The wood is great, bluing is OK but shows some wear here and there. I thought about having it polished and a reblue done but decided against it, my father's Crackshot was not in as good a condition as this one. It also needs a front sight installed. I bought new screws for the receiver too, the old ones were bad looking. I have a couple of boxes of regular velocity long rifles that I will shoot in it when I get it back. I won't shoot it much, it is a wall hanger.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you were able to find the parts you needed.

-Jake
Old 01-27-2019, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you need some newly made parts for one of these and other old guns, Jack First, Inc. in Rapid City SD makes them, not all parts but some. I got the screws there, they were kind of pricey($6 each) but they look and fit great.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

That's good to know.

I'm gonna call them this week about a part I've been looking for on an old Stevens shotgun

-Jake
Old 01-28-2019, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

They have a web site that you can look it up on, it is at: jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com.
I am sure you have their phone #, but in case you don't: 605 343-8481.
They sent my parts out very quickly. They are kind of pricey but they had to make the parts from scratch and the old used parts are pricey too. I was impressed with the quality of their receiver screws which was all I bought from them.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bacajnala, there is another place that sells newly made parts for obsolete guns, they are a little cheaper then the other. Their website is: wisnersinc.com
Old 01-28-2019, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't get a chance to call today. Hopefully tomorrow.

What I need is the trigger guard for a Stevens model 9478 20 gauge. It's a plastic piece, cheaply made. And I'd like to find a metal one. The screw hole broke out on this plastic piece before I bought it.

Ended up getting it for $40.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.