Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

300 RUM Accuracy

Old 11-04-2018, 04:25 AM
Spike

Default 300 RUM Accuracy

I have an older Remington BDL 300 RUM with synthetic stock. I would like to improve the accuracy. I will be modifying the trigger, recommendations on this would be helpful but was wondering if changing out the stock may improve accuracy? It shoots pretty straight with the exception of a flyer once in a while. Groups are decent but not sub MOA like the other guns I modified stocks and adjusted triggers. Please no feedback on how the 300 RUM is too big a kick etc.. I know the pro's and cons. I reload and have a great recipe after tinkering for years with COL, powders, brass and bullets. Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited by Sweetroels; 11-04-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few of these rifles in this caliber, , some stock, some built up a little and a full blown custom built rifle, the 300 RUM is a very accurate caliber

things you can do to make it more accurate is, trigger job, sure, better stock SURE, all the more so when bedded right
re corun the muzzle
have the action trued up
all rather simple things any GOOD smith can do for you
can also lap the bore if there is need for it

but also a BIG part of accuracy is just finding a load the rifle likes
Old 11-06-2018, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Model 700 rifles in heavy recoiling cartridges benefit greatly from having the action bedded, and often benefit from having the barrel free floated. If the original stock is stiff enough simply bed the action and remove material in the barrel channel to float the barrel. This should show measurable improvement. If the stock is too flexible to avoid barrel contact after floating it is time for a new stock such as a Bell & Carlson, HS Precision, etc. (look at stockysstocks.com for some ideas). This type of aftermarket stock gives the required stiffness and has a vastly better recoil pad than the original stock.

Adjusting the original Remington trigger has become a sensitive subject. If it is done well it can be a thing of beauty, and if it is done poorly it can cause problems. Maybe a better option is to buy a Timney 510 for a hundred dollars or so and spending 30 minutes installing it.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:50 AM
Spike

Big Uncle, thanks for the feedback. I think a new stock and trigger will be the best option. Looked at Stocky's, good site. Do you think their house brand stocks are sufficient? They have a great price. Also I tore apart the gun last night, appears I could through those parts on easy enough? If I get stuck, I can always bring to the gunsmith. Thanks
Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not used Stocky's house brand stocks but they look to be well made. You will still have to use bedding compound on any stock to make it fit the recoil lug of your rifle unless you pick one with an aluminum chassis inside. The aluminum chassis stocks usually fit the lug well enough for a hunting rifle.

Swapping out a 700 trigger is a job that most DIY guys will have no trouble doing in a few minutes. Just tap the two pins out enough to make the swap. It might be a good idea to use your phone to take a couple pictures of the old trigger before beginning just in case you can not remember how the little spring fits in the bolt stop. A few strokes with a file may be needed inside the slot in the trigger guard if the new trigger blade rubs against it.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also suggest looking at McMillan stocks,
if you go to there web site, there are many times great deals on stocks they had for folks that backed out or changed there minds
just know your length of pull and such you desisre

I have owned a lot of different stocks and honestly will; say there the best out there
go to there rem 700 web page and have a look .

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-remington-gunstocks/
and on sale now
https://mcmillanusa.com/product-cate...pecial-stocks/

Last edited by mrbb; 11-08-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Spike

What do you all think of these stocks
​​​​​​https://www.magpul.com/products/hunt...00-long-action
They have great reviews and you can't beat the price
Old 11-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a LOT of stocks today are OK< but IMO more and more are being marketed to the folks that like GUNS that look like Movie guns, folks seem to want an image more than???
I prefer things with less moving parts
but to each there own here
its can be nice to have the ability to adjust things to fit better, ,
but how heavy is this stock I didn;t look it up??

is the rifle a walking gun, or a more bench rifle???
Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Spike

Its a walk to the stand 200-300 yards and shoot across the bean field gun. I am more interested in accuracy than looks. What ever stock gives me that its on the list
Old 11-09-2018, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sweetroels
What do you all think of these stocks
​​​​​​https://www.magpul.com/products/hunt...00-long-action
They have great reviews and you can't beat the price
It is not my cup of tea, but to each his own. Considering that you are shooting a cartridge with snappy recoil you might want to think hard about the quality of the recoil pad when you make your choice. I shoot some fairly stout cartridges and believe a quality pad makes a big difference.

Good luck with your project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.