Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Reconditioning a savage 110 stock >

Reconditioning a savage 110 stock

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Reconditioning a savage 110 stock

Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Spike

Default Reconditioning a savage 110 stock

I purchased a used savage 110 30-06. The gun is in hunting shape and is functional. I need to touch up some spots on my stock and would like to clean out between the barrel and stock. I see the barrel touches the forearm wood. So when I take it down I figured I would refloat the barrel. What can I use to reseal the area I sand on the forearm? Never done this before so I am sorry for the dumb question.

Also anyplace I can get a exploded view of the model 110?
Old 11-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Birchwood Casey True oil, apply it with your fingers, several coats. If you are going to try to free float the barrel it may be better to remove some more wood and glass bed the barrel. Or if the gun is shooting well just leave it be. That gun did not come with a free floated barrel and if it is shooting well, most times it is best to leave sleeping dogs lie, especially if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Birchwood Casey True oil, apply it with your fingers, several coats. If you are going to try to free float the barrel it may be better to remove some more wood and glass bed the barrel. Or if the gun is shooting well just leave it be. That gun did not come with a free floated barrel and if it is shooting well, most times it is best to leave sleeping dogs lie, especially if you don't know what you are doing.
I second ot's answer!
Old 11-23-2016, 04:30 AM
Spike

Great news guys, thank you so much for letting me know the honest answer.
I have the tru oil already for my knife handles I make. Should I try and cleanup the grime around the barrel. It does not look dirty but when you scratch around the barrel/forarm area stuff comes off. I am calling it grime.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by remist17
Great news guys, thank you so much for letting me know the honest answer.
I have the tru oil already for my knife handles I make. Should I try and cleanup the grime around the barrel. It does not look dirty but when you scratch around the barrel/forarm area stuff comes off. I am calling it grime.
Send a pic if you can ?
Old 11-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Years of a gun being in the outdoors allows all kinds of dirt to get into the space between the barrel and the fore stock. Most of us do not remove the barreled action from the stock because it will most likely change the point of impact. It doesn't hurt to do it once in a while for a full clean up and to check for rust starting under the barrel.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:29 PM
Spike

Birchwood Casey True oil is very good for this type of cleaning
Old 07-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

This thread is two years old and True oil is not for cleaning guns, it is for finishing and sealing wooden stocks using it to try to clean a gun would make a big mess..
Old 07-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Troll warning OT. Check out his only posts.