Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Problem With My Turkey Shotgun >

Problem With My Turkey Shotgun

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Problem With My Turkey Shotgun

Old 04-28-2018, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Problem With My Turkey Shotgun

So last year I replaced the rear sight, sighted it in hunted three times with it for spring turkey, cleaned it, zero issues. This morning I travel just over one hour to my spot, get dressed and ready for the walk in and I placed a round in the chamber no problem, I then go and place a round in the magazine, it seems the diameter of the shell is to big for the magazine or the magazine's diameter is too small....Strange!!! Not sure what the issue is yet, and I sure didn't want to shoulder & fire a gun with a unknown issue. The shotgun is a 1187 Super Magnum 12ga, with the ShureShot Stock, the ammo is HeviShot Magnum Blend 3.5", been using this gun/ammo for about 5 or 6 years without a problem. Look at the slits on the shells.....Any idea of the problem?
Attached Thumbnails Problem With My Turkey Shotgun-resized_20180428_063940_1057.jpg  
Old 04-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

does the magazine tube feel right when you push on it with your thumb?

Looks like there's something out of place with the mag tube or the shell follower or something.

-Jake
Old 04-29-2018, 02:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Take off the end cap from the magazine and pull out the spring and plug and shell seat and check them and check inside the tube with a flashlight, something that shouldn't be in there may have gotten in.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:59 PM
Spike

Many of shotguns have a round limit stick in the magazine tube in the middle of the spring. If it gets jammed in the coils of the spring it will cause the problem you describe.