Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Hydrodipping

Old 02-02-2018, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hydrodipping

What are people's experiences with hydro dip for guns? Do you like the product? How does it hold up to use in the woods?
Old 02-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

How well it holds up is all about the prep work and the exterior coat. If you half @ss the prep, the film won't bond well, and it'll rub off in days or weeks. If your applicator does a proper prep job and they run a proper clearcoat on top, it can be as close to "permanent" as it can get.

I built my own hydrographics shop several years ago - don't waste your time - pay someone qualified to do it for you, you'll be money ahead, and have better quality finished products.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:30 AM
Spike

I had my rifle done a year and a half ago. I have only used it one rifle season, so can't comment long term. It looks great and hasn't changed yet. I paid $230 for my .308 pump model 7600 with scope rings, clip. I left my scope matte black. I will be getting 2 shotguns done soon.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got my Mossberg 500 back yesterday and put back together. I am really impressed with the pattern (spring mimicry) and the finish (feels very "tough"). Just under $200 (bit extra for tactical stock and rings).
Old 04-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Hydrodipping-image.jpg