HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   Reconditioning a savage 110 stock (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/410232-reconditioning-savage-110-stock.html)

remist17 11-22-2016 12:05 PM

Reconditioning a savage 110 stock

I purchased a used savage 110 30-06. The gun is in hunting shape and is functional. I need to touch up some spots on my stock and would like to clean out between the barrel and stock. I see the barrel touches the forearm wood. So when I take it down I figured I would refloat the barrel. What can I use to reseal the area I sand on the forearm? Never done this before so I am sorry for the dumb question.

Also anyplace I can get a exploded view of the model 110?

Oldtimr 11-22-2016 12:51 PM

Birchwood Casey True oil, apply it with your fingers, several coats. If you are going to try to free float the barrel it may be better to remove some more wood and glass bed the barrel. Or if the gun is shooting well just leave it be. That gun did not come with a free floated barrel and if it is shooting well, most times it is best to leave sleeping dogs lie, especially if you don't know what you are doing.

muzzlestuffer 11-22-2016 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4282482)
Birchwood Casey True oil, apply it with your fingers, several coats. If you are going to try to free float the barrel it may be better to remove some more wood and glass bed the barrel. Or if the gun is shooting well just leave it be. That gun did not come with a free floated barrel and if it is shooting well, most times it is best to leave sleeping dogs lie, especially if you don't know what you are doing.

I second ot's answer!

remist17 11-23-2016 04:30 AM

Great news guys, thank you so much for letting me know the honest answer.
I have the tru oil already for my knife handles I make. Should I try and cleanup the grime around the barrel. It does not look dirty but when you scratch around the barrel/forarm area stuff comes off. I am calling it grime.

muzzlestuffer 11-23-2016 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by remist17 (Post 4282573)
Great news guys, thank you so much for letting me know the honest answer.
I have the tru oil already for my knife handles I make. Should I try and cleanup the grime around the barrel. It does not look dirty but when you scratch around the barrel/forarm area stuff comes off. I am calling it grime.

Send a pic if you can ?

Oldtimr 11-23-2016 11:55 AM

Years of a gun being in the outdoors allows all kinds of dirt to get into the space between the barrel and the fore stock. Most of us do not remove the barreled action from the stock because it will most likely change the point of impact. It doesn't hurt to do it once in a while for a full clean up and to check for rust starting under the barrel.

punking 07-02-2018 12:29 PM

Birchwood Casey True oil is very good for this type of cleaning

Oldtimr 07-02-2018 12:53 PM

This thread is two years old and True oil is not for cleaning guns, it is for finishing and sealing wooden stocks using it to try to clean a gun would make a big mess..

Nomercy448 07-03-2018 05:47 PM

Troll warning OT. Check out his only posts.