HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   Customizing a KeyStone Extreme stock (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/409040-customizing-keystone-extreme-stock.html)

SecondChance 09-25-2016 08:30 AM

Customizing a KeyStone Extreme stock

I bought a KeyStone Extreme stock for my 10/22. I want to customize the thumbhole for myself. I was going to use a wood rasp and sandpaper for I need to trim a good amount to get what I want. What should I use to close up the open laminate area after I am done?

Nomercy448 12-08-2016 12:05 PM

Depends whether it's coated with a lacquer or simply oiled.

I'd tend to assume it's lacquered, so you'll need to grab a can of CA and reseal the modified area.

If it's not, then Casey's tru oil is a great product.

SecondChance 01-01-2017 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4284566)
Depends whether it's coated with a lacquer or simply oiled.

I'd tend to assume it's lacquered, so you'll need to grab a can of CA and reseal the modified area.

If it's not, then Casey's tru oil is a great product.

A can of CA?

Nomercy448 01-01-2017 05:05 PM

Cyanoacrylate. Aka, super glue.

I prefer to rub on a CA finish and buff as appropriate instead of spraying on polyurethane. PUR is less brittle than CA, but the spray on application is often less even, and isn't absorbed into the wood as well as a properly rubbed CA. Both work, I just prefer CA - which to be clear - I drastically prefer a rubbed oil finish over a polymer coat any day, but I know many of these laminate wood stocks like the keystone and Boyd's come polymer sealed.

SecondChance 01-22-2017 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4287967)
Cyanoacrylate. Aka, super glue.

I prefer to rub on a CA finish and buff as appropriate instead of spraying on polyurethane. PUR is less brittle than CA, but the spray on application is often less even, and isn't absorbed into the wood as well as a properly rubbed CA. Both work, I just prefer CA - which to be clear - I drastically prefer a rubbed oil finish over a polymer coat any day, but I know many of these laminate wood stocks like the keystone and Boyd's come polymer sealed.

Gotcha. I built a right hand cast off stock for a "Y" model 12 I own just for me years ago. A very close friend to the family taught me how to carve stocks from a solid block of crotchwood maple tree he had been drying in his rafters for years. I put a dished out monte carlo roll over cheek piece on it with a wundhammer palm swell. I closed the wood with 20 coates of warmed linseed oil hand rubbed in. So I doubt that with todays modern technology and rapid building processes that anything less than an ordered custom stock from a custom company would be oil sealed. Where do you get the CA or do you order it online?