Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Cleaning barrels with GREASE ! ! ! >

Cleaning barrels with GREASE ! ! !

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Cleaning barrels with GREASE ! ! !

Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Spike

Default Cleaning barrels with GREASE ! ! !

Bet that title got some attention but yes it is truthful.

The Swiss Army has cleaned their weapons with Automattenfett (grease) since the 1890s if I remember correctly. They have sold us their surplus weapons for last fifty years and I have never heard of anyone buying one with a bad barrel from lack of care.
The Automattenfett was sold by the hundreds of cans ten years ago but we didn't know what it was but alas that is not the only grease we can use.

I use Grease Auto and Artillery GAA and it works very well. I like it because it is a light tan color and you actually know when your barrel is clean because the patches no longer come out black. This grease is synthetic and I have seen it sold on Ebay.

You can also use Grease Aircraft Wide Temperature Range WTR in the same manner. I got that from a retired Special Forces enlisted type that got a commission. I tried it and was quite pleased with how it performed.

How I use it:

For 30 cal rifles I put a 22/25 cal bronze brush on and take a 2" square military cleaning patch and apply grease to it working it into patch. I then wrap it around brush and give the rifle about 20 passes. I stop, unwind the patch and it will be half light tan and half black. I then reverse wrap the patch so the black area is inside and the clean area on the outside and give the bore another 20 passes.
You can also use a 6.5/270 bronze brush, cut the patch into two rectangle pieces and wrap the patch like a barber pole stripes around the brush starting at the nose of the brush and ending up at the base of the bristles.

Oh yes, forgot you can also use nylon brushes.

For other calibers you will just have to find the brush patch combo to give you a snug fit.

I then repeat the procedure with a second patch and a third patch.
What you are removing is the carbon left by the propellant which you definitely need to remove just as soon after firing as possible. Preferably while barrel is warm.

You don't necessarily have to remove the copper from the barrel IF THE BARREL SHOOTS BETTER WITH COPPER IN LEAVE IT THERE.
At the last patch the grease from the patch is left in the bore as the above brush patch should fit snugly so there is no grease visible grease build up.

Thus you have nothing to spill, nothing to leak, nothing to run.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

I may give that a try.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Spike

For your 45-70 you might could get by with a 10MM/40cal bronze brush.

Let us know.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hummer as much as I find your posts interesting and educational I believe I will stick with my Montan X-treme line of gun cleaning products. In my over 50 years of cleaning and caring for firearms I've found them to be some of the best products out there.
I'll keep the grease for it's intended purpose of lubrication.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Spike

For sure there are some good products out there. For instance you can also use Mobil 1 0W20 for cleaning your bore and lubing semi auto gas systems.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

interesting post do these greases have any chemicals in them or no chemicals? that would be a interesting angle if they have none or have less harmful chemicals than modern cleaners and lubes ! to some i suspect they will consider this a dumb question and maybe it is but i always try to get away from those nasty chemicals we always seem to use now a days. thanks !!
Old 03-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Spike

If I am not mistaken I seem to remember reading the specs on GAA and WTR and there was a test with copper strips and apparently some grease types will attack it.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=grease+...D8E4C047A3B090

above is info on GAA

http://www.bing.com/search?q=grease%...40EC18C1166ECA

spec for WTR
Old 03-28-2016, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hummer70
If I am not mistaken I seem to remember reading the specs on GAA and WTR and there was a test with copper strips and apparently some grease types will attack it.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=grease+...D8E4C047A3B090

above is info on GAA

http://www.bing.com/search?q=grease%...40EC18C1166ECA

spec for WTR
Thanks I'll check it out.