Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Proper Cleaning?

Old 04-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as the outside I use the silicone gun/ reel clothes for the outside of all my guns wood and metal they work great and there cheap !
Old 04-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine
And I don't suggest my way to anyone. A lot of stuff's been invented since. Can't compete with the newest and the best.

I only have longevity on my side.
If you clean your guns on a regular basis, Hoppe's No.9 works great with the right equipment and some elbow grease !

................and a little oil for the moving parts.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sheridan - there are much better products out there now than good old #9. Better even made by Hoppes. Hoppe's Elite products are really good for removing copper and lead fouling and powder fouling and it is eco friendly.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Sheridan - there are much better products out there now than good old #9. Better even made by Hoppes. Hoppe's Elite products are really good for removing copper and lead fouling and powder fouling and it is eco friendly.
Bronko,

My "comment" was in response to me recommending Slip 2000 products (best new cleaning product IMO), and someone remarked that you don't need any fancy new products to clean your gun.

My following post, which is the one that you saw, had to do with the idea that there is nothing "wrong" with the ole' tried & true products and techniques for cleaning a gun - That's all.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Naw, I have my old ways

Besides I already have my way of keeping a bolt working on a frigid day.