HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   1952 fn Belgium Browning 16 gauge shotgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/401699-1952-fn-belgium-browning-16-gauge-shotgun.html)

[email protected] 09-28-2015 03:25 AM

1952 fn Belgium Browning 16 gauge shotgun
 
Hello everyone I bought a 1952 Belgium made A5 Browning 16 gauge it shoots 2 1/2 shells I've fired it but it won't eject the shells can you help me out ....mike

HatchieLuvr 09-28-2015 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure the gun will shoot 2.5s but I've never tried them in my old Belgian 16, just regular 2.75" dove and heavier loads. Here's a diagram showing the basic setup of the friction ring and where it should be based on the load you're trying to get it to eject. I STILL think the A5 is THE greatest autoloading scattergun in history! :party0005: For sure my eternal fav! :rock:

[email protected] 09-28-2015 03:42 PM

Thanks brother let me break this thing down and see just what's going on inside

flags 09-28-2015 04:57 PM

I've got a Belgian Sweet Sixteen and it shoots 2 3/4 shells. Nice gun but I hardly use it anymore since 20 gauge is a lot easier to find shells for.

Oldtimr 09-28-2015 05:37 PM

Does it say 2 1/2 inch chamber on the barrel?

RPD63 09-29-2015 12:48 PM

If it was made in 1952, it should be made for the 2 3/4 " (70mm) shells. Before 1947, the 16 gauge Auto 5 used the 2 9/16 " (65mm) shells. If I remember correctly...lol.
As others have said, may just be the way your friction rings are set up.

Oldtimr 09-29-2015 01:14 PM

Yep, my dad's used to shoot 2 9/16" shells in his 16 ga double, I don't know why it was chambered for 2 3/4. He eventually went to the 2 3/4.

[email protected] 09-29-2015 01:27 PM


Originally Posted by RPD63 (Post 4221021)
If it was made in 1952, it should be made for the 2 3/4 " (70mm) shells. Before 1947, the 16 gauge Auto 5 used the 2 9/16 " (65mm) shells. If I remember correctly...lol.
As others have said, may just be the way your friction rings are set up.

Yes I'm getting up in years also brother haha I hear ya I'm going to set the rings up differently to see if that works

[email protected] 09-29-2015 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4220929)
Does it say 2 1/2 inch chamber on the barrel?

No it doesn't the guy I bought it from said it was on one side of the barrel it says made in Belgium on the other side it says full 16 steel and has all these little crowns and symbols

RPD63 09-29-2015 01:43 PM

I believe the early 20 gauge shells were the 2 1/2 in ones. I could be mistaken though.

Oldtimr 09-29-2015 01:46 PM

Mike, brake the gun down. I would be extremely surprised if the chamber length is not stamped somewhere on the barrel.

[email protected] 09-29-2015 01:49 PM


Originally Posted by flags (Post 4220924)
I've got a Belgian Sweet Sixteen and it shoots 2 3/4 shells. Nice gun but I hardly use it anymore since 20 gauge is a lot easier to find shells for.

Yes my dad has a sweet 16 I hunted with that gun growing up witch is why I got this one I ordered my shells from Classic Shooting Company

[email protected] 09-29-2015 01:50 PM


Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4221036)
Mike, brake the gun down. I would be extremely surprised if the chamber length is not stamped somewhere on the barrel.

Ok let's take a look

RPD63 09-29-2015 01:52 PM

It may say 65mm or 70mm....if it's an older gun.

[email protected] 09-29-2015 02:04 PM


Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4220929)
Does it say 2 1/2 inch chamber on the barrel?

on the bottom of the barrel it says choke 16.8 and on the side in the same line it says full 16 special steel it says 16.65

RPD63 09-29-2015 02:06 PM

That's a 2 9/16 in barrel. Probably not made in 1952 unless the barrel and receiver are not matched.

RPD63 09-29-2015 02:07 PM

What's the serial number? Pm me if you don't want to post it.

RPD63 09-29-2015 02:09 PM

16.65. Translates to 16 gauge gun chambered for 65 mm shells.

[email protected] 09-29-2015 02:11 PM


Originally Posted by RPD63 (Post 4221046)
That's a 2 9/16 in barrel. Probably not made in 1952 unless the barrel and receiver are not matched.

There is also a serial# on the barrel that I ran through the Browning web site and it matched 1952

[email protected] 09-29-2015 02:15 PM


Originally Posted by RPD63 (Post 4221049)
16.65. Translates to 16 gauge gun chambered for 65 mm shells.

So what does that translate to in inches

RPD63 09-29-2015 02:17 PM

I'm not doubting you. I'm guessing barrel and receiver serial numbers match?

[email protected] 09-29-2015 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by RPD63 (Post 4221047)
What's the serial number? Pm me if you don't want to post it.

Do you have an email address

grinder67 09-29-2015 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 4221052)
So what does that translate to in inches

65 mm = 2.559 inches

RPD63 09-29-2015 02:24 PM

2 9/16 in shells. My Belgium 12 is stamped 12.70. 12 gauge made for 2 3/4 in shells. It is a 52

RPD63 09-29-2015 02:24 PM

I sent you a pm

RPD63 09-29-2015 02:45 PM

Did you get my pm?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.