HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   Any experience with Boyd's or MacMillan stocks? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/400048-any-experience-boyds-macmillan-stocks.html)

JoeA 07-01-2015 03:05 PM

Any experience with Boyd's or MacMillan stocks?

Looking at replacing the 'tupperware' stock on my Savage 116 '06. Does anyone here have experience with Boyd's stocks? I like the prices, but the difference between them and MacMillan's is making we wonder.

Bbj270 07-01-2015 03:45 PM

Have a boyds thumpehole stock on my rem 700 mountain rifle and love it. Would highly recomed them.

Ridge Runner 07-01-2015 05:52 PM

make sure you bed them, other than that good stocks
RR

Nomercy448 07-02-2015 01:50 PM

I have, and have had, multiples of McMillan and Boyd's stocks. It's kinda hard to compare a Lexus with a Honda, but that doesn't make a Honda a "bad car."

The McMillain A2 and A5 are possibly my favorite rifle stock profiles of all time. I tend to prefer wood, but if it ain't wood, make mine a Mac A2 or 5. The only actions that I've had them in are Ruger M77's, Savage 12's, and Remington 700's. The gooseneck really fits my hand/wrist well and the flared forend just makes me grin for form AND function, absolutely love the A2 and A5. They're heavy, but I'm still young enough to manage the weight.

I have multiple Boyd's stocks, all laminates, of course. Almost all of them require a LITTLE fitting of the action to seat cleanly, but nothing that someone with a file or sandpaper can't handle. I have two Evolution space age skeletons, a couple thumbhole varminters, a a couple prairie hunters - on Ruger 10/22's, Savage Mark II's, a Savage B-mag, Rem 700's, and Ruger M77's. The laminates are still heavy, but surprisingly light for what they are, at least in the models that I have.

Like Ridge Runner mentioned, both of them really need to be bedded (can say I think any bolt action should be bedded). Once the rifle is bedded properly (aka - once the stock perfectly fits the rifle/action) then how the stock fits you is what will matter the most.

speedmaster97 07-02-2015 07:34 PM

I have 3 Boyds stocks, thumbhole lam. on a Rem.700bdl, lam. on a Browning A-Bolt and my most recent lam. thumbhole on a T/C Omega. For the price you can not go wrong. All 3 stocks dropped right in.

7mmruger 07-03-2015 05:02 AM

Have a thumphole on a Remington 700 bdl, beded and it is a good stock for the money. If fit right in the action with no problem. Cant say the same for the Remington replacement stocks. Had a model seven youth got a Remington factory replacement synthic stock and had to do a lot of fiting work with a dermal tool to get the barrel action in.

Ridge Runner 07-03-2015 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4204967)
I have, and have had, multiples of McMillan and Boyd's stocks. It's kinda hard to compare a Lexus with a Honda, but that doesn't make a Honda a "bad car."

The McMillain A2 and A5 are possibly my favorite rifle stock profiles of all time. I tend to prefer wood, but if it ain't wood, make mine a Mac A2 or 5. The only actions that I've had them in are Ruger M77's, Savage 12's, and Remington 700's. The gooseneck really fits my hand/wrist well and the flared forend just makes me grin for form AND function, absolutely love the A2 and A5. They're heavy, but I'm still young enough to manage the weight.

I have multiple Boyd's stocks, all laminates, of course. Almost all of them require a LITTLE fitting of the action to seat cleanly, but nothing that someone with a file or sandpaper can't handle. I have two Evolution space age skeletons, a couple thumbhole varminters, a a couple prairie hunters - on Ruger 10/22's, Savage Mark II's, a Savage B-mag, Rem 700's, and Ruger M77's. The laminates are still heavy, but surprisingly light for what they are, at least in the models that I have.

Like Ridge Runner mentioned, both of them really need to be bedded (can say I think any bolt action should be bedded). Once the rifle is bedded properly (aka - once the stock perfectly fits the rifle/action) then how the stock fits you is what will matter the most.

NM,
Joel Russo will cut you a micky out of wood
an A5-3 in walnut

an A5 in camo laminate

RR

jeepkid 07-03-2015 02:25 PM

Bobby Hart makes a laminate clone also. I really liked mine.

But Boyds to a McMillan comparison is apples to oranges. Not even the same type of stock.

Boyds, bobby hart, Richards microfit, stockys, etc is a good comparison...

PigBrick 07-05-2015 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by JoeA (Post 4204776)
Looking at replacing the 'tupperware' stock on my Savage 116 '06. Does anyone here have experience with Boyd's stocks? I like the prices, but the difference between them and MacMillan's is making we wonder.

There's no better stock made than a McMillan, IMO. I have several. The Hunter's Edge is the best hunting stock, bar none. They are expensive, however. For the value, they may not be the best, but when price is not considered, they are.

I've had several B&Cs and still own a few. In my opinion, they could best the best value out there. But again, it's all subjective.

That's this rifle loony's opinion...

super_hunt54 07-05-2015 01:04 PM

I'm still laughing trying to figure out which is bigger in those pics of RR's, the Ground Hog or that little ole deer :p

As far as the OP question, I have several of both and I pretty much agree with PigBrick about the subjectivity. Mac's are hard as hell to beat but they are a pocket dropper. Boyd's ,for the money, is one hell of a hard stock seller to beat. If money is no object (within reason of course) then go with a Mac because you will have a VERY hard time finding a better made stock but if you want a well made and reasonably well fitted stock for a great value then you won't beat a Boyd's.