Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Bore guide?

Old 06-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Spike

Default Bore guide?

I have a marlin .17hmr and a Remington 700 308 and wondering if I really need a bore guide?and can it damage your gun if you don't have one?
Old 06-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Metal rubbing on your lands and groves from a cleaning rod and patch jag and patch loop can damage the lands and groves and the crown of the barrel over time. A guide prevents the rod from touching the rifling. Do you need it? That is up to you. Problem is, if it is possible, it is best to clean a barrel from the breech end and I have never sen a bore guide that will fit in the breesh end of the barrel. Not saying there aren't any, just that I have never seen any.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-06-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your chamber throat tends to be the most vulnerable spot for cleaning rod contact.

Tipton (and other) boreguides can be had incredibly cheap, so there's no sense in NOT using one.

They're also helpful for inserting wetted patches without falling off of the jag or drooling into the action.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Your chamber throat tends to be the most vulnerable spot for cleaning rod contact.

Tipton (and other) boreguides can be had incredibly cheap, so there's no sense in NOT using one.

They're also helpful for inserting wetted patches without falling off of the jag or drooling into the action.
could I have damaged it by cleaning them the handful of times I have / I've probably cleaned about 10 times on the 308 and 5 times on .17 / is there any way to tell if I've already done damage?thank you.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Probably not.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pharris218
could I have damaged it by cleaning them the handful of times I have / I've probably cleaned about 10 times on the 308 and 5 times on .17 / is there any way to tell if I've already done damage?thank you.
Doubtful. Even rubbing a stainless rod against it that few of times wouldn't hurt it much if any. But like our resident "Redneck Genius" Nomercy said, it's best to use a bore guide. And yep Oldtimr there are chamber side bore guides. Here's a couple elcheapo's but they do the job well enough.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/794...ge-bolt-action

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/G...vboreguide.php

Or you could go the professional route and get this one thats matched to your bore size, http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...m-bore-guides/
Old 06-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just get a piece of hardwood dowel and turn it on a lathe,drill it to your rod diameter and shove it in the breech and have at it.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Problem is, if it is possible, it is best to clean a barrel from the breech end and I have never sen a bore guide that will fit in the breesh end of the barrel. Not saying there aren't any, just that I have never seen any.
Am I reading this correctly, you've never seen a bore-guide that inserts into the action (considering that we're talking about a Rem 700 and a Marlin rimfire bolt action) and allows cleaning from the breech end?

Tipton, Possum Hollow, Wheeler, JP, ProShot, Satern, etc etc... They all make breech end bore guides. By and large, they all look something along these lines:

Old 06-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Mercy I drop my lever, take out the bolt and use them on my Levers too. Takes about 25 seconds if sober
Old 06-07-2015, 04:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ner knew the made them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.