HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   AR aftermarket triggers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/394147-ar-aftermarket-triggers.html)

bucklessyooper 09-05-2014 08:02 AM

AR aftermarket triggers

Anyone have a good recommendation for an easy to install aftermarket AR trigger?

Put a Timney on a model 700 and m77 MkII,but never messed with triggers for semi auto.

Guess if there are aftermarket AR triggers that are easy like the Remington model 700 triggers than I would probably be very interested in something along those lines.

Having trouble getting my 450 bushmaster upper to shoot like I want it to. Nothing wrong wit the upper at all. Just know the "nut" behind the bolt is used to a lighter trigger....

grinder67 09-05-2014 08:30 AM

I put a 3 pound timney in my AR , not to difficult to install and made a world of difference in my rifle.

Sheridan 09-05-2014 06:08 PM

Not a fan of using two stage triggers on hunting rifles.

I used JP Enterprise EZ on my AR-15 hunting rifle, after looking at all the usual suspects.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_ezt.php

bucklessyooper 09-06-2014 03:16 AM

Sheridan,

Was the JP enterprises pretty easy to install ?

bucklessyooper 09-06-2014 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by grinder67 (Post 4157910)
I put a 3 pound timney in my AR , not to difficult to install and made a world of difference in my rifle.

That was one of the first ones I looked at.

Nomercy448 09-06-2014 05:56 AM

For a super simple solution, it's pretty easy to have someone install a trigger for you, for relatively cheap.

I'm not really sure what constitutes difficult or simple in terms of AR triggers. None are really that difficult to assemble or tune.

Bill Springfield will rework your factory trigger, which is likely the 2nd cheapest option.

JP 3.5lb spring kit will help a lot with a standard/mil-spec trigger, and the shipping from midway almost costs more than the spring kit itself.

The Timney AR trigger is a fine trigger, not one of my favorites, I traded it back to Midway for a JP Competition 1stage .

My favorite trigger is the Geissele Match 2 stage, but they're pretty proud of them. I have a couple of them, but it's hard to justify the price in anything but a bench gun. It's the closest thing to a Jewel 700 trigger that I've felt in an AR.

RRA NM 2 stage, Geissele SSA-E 2stage, and Bushmaster Match 2 stage are my "hunting triggers" since they run a bit cheaper. I've been very happy with the Bushmasters, but branched out when they dried up temporarily a couple years ago, got a steal on the RRA, and bought the SSA from a fellow bench rider that was upgrading his G3 to the G Match - which meant I could upgrade my hunting rifle to that SSA-E.

muzzlestuffer 09-06-2014 02:34 PM

i put a timney single stage 3lb trigger on one of my ruger ar's much better than the two stage i also put timney on all my gun's before i even shoot them. you have to have a good light trigger pull !!

Sheridan 09-07-2014 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by bucklessyooper (Post 4157997)
Sheridan,

Was the JP enterprises pretty easy to install ?

Did you watch the video ? :confused0024:

Streetdoctor 09-07-2014 06:50 PM

geissele SSA

bucklessyooper 09-08-2014 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4158209)
Did you watch the video ? :confused0024:

Home computer wouldn't take me to the link you provided.

Took a quick look at work today before shift and even though I couldn't finish all of the video it didn't look as involved as I thought it would be.

Think with all 10 thumbs I could probably do it in 30-60 minutes..:guiness:

Sheridan 09-08-2014 08:24 AM

I researched all of the other triggers mentioned in this thread and many others.

For my money (still expensive IMO), the best "drop-in" single stag trigger for an AR-15 out there (JP EZ).

I had it built with a 2 stage trigger (Geissele) at the suggestion of my smith - I shot it well, but always felt like a trigger with a lot of "take-up" or "creep".

Smart for a tactical weapon I understand, but this was intended as a predator gun for me (All my hunting rifles triggers are set at 3lbs).

Nomercy448 09-08-2014 10:06 AM

C'mon Sheridan, don't you know? The first stage of a two stage trigger is like foreplay!!! :happy0001:

They make both because different guys like different things. I like 2 stage triggers even for hunting because I like to settle in, get some pressure on the trigger as I get my target under the wire in my scope, then build up to the break as my crosshairs find home where I want to send it. Then again, I shoot all of my weapons with the same mentality whether it's chasing paper or a coyote. With a 2 stage, I can warm up to a shot by taking the slack out of the first stage, but if I don't get the exact placement or position I want, I can let off. It's a bit irrational, but I always feel like I need to reset my trigger if I built any pressure against a single stage trigger and didn't break the shot.

I do prefer a nice light, CRISP single stage for 3gun or other speed shooting (and would prefer one if I were in a battlefield scenario with a semiauto) because of the shorter and faster trigger reset. Long travel is long travel in both directions. I know the Bushmaster trigger will reset the 2nd stage without reseting the 1st, but that's not 100% true of all designs (not sure I've ever tried it with a RRA or Geis).

The good news about that is that almost all of the good AR triggers are available in both single stage and two stage. Geissele makes both, JP makes both, RRA makes both, Bushmaster, Timney, etc (although Timney might not make a 2 stage anymore?).

Granted, a spring kit or sending off to Bill Springfield won't convert a single stage "mil-spec" heavy & gritty trigger to a 2 stage precision hunting trigger, but if you like single stage, Bill's work or a spring kit are very affordable options.

Sheridan 09-08-2014 10:51 AM

If I understand my smith correctly; a 2 stage trigger is for tactical work to "help" prevent operator error from a accidental discharge.

................. and I cant see how it could "help" !

I prefer no "take-up" or "creep" on a hunting rifle trigger and I love the short trigger resent for follow-up shots and for those multiple opportunity occasions.

Lastly, I do not like triggers set below 2lbs on hunting rifles !!!

As you suggest - Each to they're own.

BTW - I do love foreplay though ............... LOL !

Ridge Runner 09-08-2014 01:38 PM

I run 3-6 oz jewels on my bolt guns, and RRA tuned NM triggers on my AR's, have no trouble hitting stuff with either, just wear thin gloves when its cold.
RR

grinder67 09-08-2014 04:45 PM

Has anyone heard of Layke Tactical 3lb Single-Stage Drop-In Competition Trigger?

Streetdoctor 09-08-2014 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4158321)
C'mon Sheridan, don't you know? The first stage of a two stage trigger is like foreplay!!! :happy0001:

They make both because different guys like different things. I like 2 stage triggers even for hunting because I like to settle in, get some pressure on the trigger as I get my target under the wire in my scope, then build up to the break as my crosshairs find home where I want to send it. Then again, I shoot all of my weapons with the same mentality whether it's chasing paper or a coyote. With a 2 stage, I can warm up to a shot by taking the slack out of the first stage, but if I don't get the exact placement or position I want, I can let off. It's a bit irrational, but I always feel like I need to reset my trigger if I built any pressure against a single stage trigger and didn't break the shot.

I do prefer a nice light, CRISP single stage for 3gun or other speed shooting (and would prefer one if I were in a battlefield scenario with a semiauto) because of the shorter and faster trigger reset. Long travel is long travel in both directions. I know the Bushmaster trigger will reset the 2nd stage without reseting the 1st, but that's not 100% true of all designs (not sure I've ever tried it with a RRA or Geis).

The good news about that is that almost all of the good AR triggers are available in both single stage and two stage. Geissele makes both, JP makes both, RRA makes both, Bushmaster, Timney, etc (although Timney might not make a 2 stage anymore?).

Granted, a spring kit or sending off to Bill Springfield won't convert a single stage "mil-spec" heavy & gritty trigger to a 2 stage precision hunting trigger, but if you like single stage, Bill's work or a spring kit are very affordable options.

I fire my Geissele much like a glock. I only let off enough pressure to hear the "click". No need to let the first stage all the way out. Matter of fact you're not supposed to shoot that way with follow up shots... I believe the 2nd stage of a geissele SSA is 2.5lbs.

Sheridan 09-08-2014 09:08 PM

Doctor,

What.............on second thought, you won't be fine ?!?!

Nomercy will tell you....................

bucklessyooper 09-16-2014 05:41 AM

Thanks for everyone’s input on the trigger dilemma. Did some more research and ended up going with the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced trigger. Liked the fact that the installation looked very straight forward and there was no messing with timing the sear.

Hopefully when it gets here in another week, or so I’ll get to put it in. Sucks having to wait for the October trip to camp to shoot it, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

The low first stage of 2.3# and second stage of 1.2# sounded appealing to me. Wasn’t always of fan of two stage triggers, but after shooting a sporterized M98 of my dad’s and my Glock I can tolerate them.

Figured if I learn to take up the first stage while pulling the crosshairs down on the target it would help me get used to having the two stages. Guess range time will be the telling factor on this one.

bucklessyooper 09-22-2014 08:09 AM

New geislle trigger is in. With all 10 thumbs did it in 40 minutes. Compressing the hammer spring took a lot of time. Super pumped to shoot and think it was time and $ very well spent.

ronlaughlin 09-23-2014 06:48 PM

One of my rifles has that trigger, and i really like the way it works.

Streetdoctor 09-23-2014 07:33 PM

I don't think you'll be disappointed!