HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   fixing up my grand fathers 98k (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/391169-fixing-up-my-grand-fathers-98k.html)

double ott bill 04-21-2014 08:24 AM

fixing up my grand fathers 98k

Hello, my name is Bill and i just registered on this forum. i hope i can contribute and become a lasting member along with many of you. although right now, i am looking for some advice. I have my grandfathers 98k german mauser brought back from ww2. i just spent 500 bucks getting a timney trigger put in it (2.5lbs), getting it cleaned and bore sighted. now i am looking for advice as to the scope and mounts that were installed between the 40's and 50's.

best i can tell is that the scope and mounts are weaver. the base of the mount has ridges on the sides and a v pattern in the middle of the top with detachable upper and lower scope rings. the gunsmith who installed the trigger wants me to spend another 400 for him to mount a new scope, however that is a ton of money to me and i was hoping it is possible to reuse the current base mounts and hopefully get newer and more solid scope rings then find a newer scope that fits.

i understand how vital it is to have solid mounts and a scope that stays on point especially when using a big bore rifle. my question is should i bite the bullet and pay the gunsmith for new mounts and a new scope or is there a way i can reuse the mounts and configure a solid set up myself without paying a fortune to do so ?

also, if you would be so kind as to recommend scopes and sizes for elk, bear, and moose i would be greatly appreciative. thank you for your time.

Bill.

CalHunter 04-21-2014 08:32 AM

First of all, welcome aboard and we're glad to have you. This is a unique site and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy your time here and stay a while.

As a moderator, I've moved this topic to the appropriate forum (Gunsmithing) per HuntingNet's rules. I believe you will get more technical advice and responses from this forum as it's the one where most of our gunsmiths tend to hang out and help other members. Good luck with your project and welcome again.

CalHunter

double ott bill 04-21-2014 10:09 AM

Thank you for moving my post where it needs to be. really hope to get an answer i like, but chances are it all needs to be redone by a gunsmith. i have a hard time believing parts can be found to match such an old scope mount

Topgun 3006 04-21-2014 04:24 PM

Just a comment and a couple questions for our newbie. First of all I'd find another gunsmith because IMHO $500 is way too much just to put an aftermarket Timney in it along with cleaning and boresighting since that trigger isn't much more than $100 and putting one in is relatively simple. The questions are why do you feel the existing bases and rings are not adequate to stay wih them and just buy a new scope and exactly what is the $400 you mentioned the gunsmith now wants you to spend covering?

double ott bill 04-21-2014 07:21 PM

while i do agree i paid a lot to get the gun in shape, he is the only gunsmith within 150 miles of me, it did have a lot of rust and the trigger was way too sloppy for hunting, so it had to be done and i prefer that work done by a professional, as i dont have the tools or experience to take it apart myself.

the gun has sentimental value to me, and i would have spent 500 on a savage if i went the new route, so i chose to fix up a family gun, capable of taking down any large game on this continent. my father will soon be giving me his old ruger .270 once he feels he wont hunt with it anymore, so i will cover both ends of the spectrum with handed down guns within the family. the only problem is i need a rifle to hunt elk in CO now.

as far as the scope and mounts go, i may just try to shim a new scope into the current rings and see how well it holds zero before i get too crazy and spend too much more money. i just fear those old mounts may not hold zero and weaver said they were bought out and no longer carry parts for something so old, so the 400 would be to tap new scope mounts and install a new scope, which is something i really hope to avoid.

number1wrench 04-22-2014 03:51 AM

Just saying as I'm no expert BUT the original K98 Mauser military had a unique to Mauser set type trigger for safety/ consistency military application. If all the internals of original bolt and trigger are not worn out or rusted(corroded) to death this trigger really works sweet once you get used to it. I have two sporterized K98 8mm that I love. With Norma ammo or reloads you are 100% correct, there aint nothing on the n\North American continent stands a chance to a well placed appropriate bullet selection. I admire your devotion to maintain a family heirloom you can always buy more guns but there is something about a blood/personal relationship tie you can't buy. enjoy a lifetime of hunting and pass it on to a future generation. Yeah post war conversions were usually Weaver "K" scopes, or bargain copy knock-offs. Any vintage style new or old should fit the bases you describe.

Topgun 3006 04-22-2014 04:52 AM

I can surely understand the sentimental value and it's too bad the guy charged you what he did, but "it is what it is", as they say. As far as replacing the scope, I think you should be able to find a number of scopes with the same size tube as is on there now such that no shims will be necessary and you should be able to do that work yourself.

Murdy 04-22-2014 06:33 AM

I have a WWII era K98 that my grandfather picked up along the way and left to me. He had some work done to it (including a very heavy monte carlo stock, which I may replace someday, as it really makes it a pig to carry around -- but I've primarily used it for white tails, stand hunting, sot he extra weight hasn't been a huge issue). I love the gun, and good luck with yours.

I had it drilled and tapped, and a scope installed, back in the 1980s. Granted this was 25+ years ago, but it didn't cost anywhere near that much, and, even figuring in inflation, $400 to mount a scope seems really high.

double ott bill 04-22-2014 03:50 PM

i have no doubt that the gunsmith had sufficient work to do on my gun, and if i can just upgrade my scope i will have an excellent hunting weapon.

i want to thank the many of you who are helping me through this situation with your responses. i am feeling more confident that a solution will present itself if i continue my due diligence. i appreciate all of your knowledge and experience with this matter, as i can honestly say i have few weapons with scopes and it is a subject i need to continue being educated on.

personally, i dont like taking shots more than 300 yards unless i know my weapon well and have an optimal situation for a kill shot especially with the many elevation changes in CO. so if you guys can give me some advice for the size scope and manufacturer, i would greatly appreciate that advice as well.

Big Uncle 04-30-2014 10:15 AM

If you have Weaver style bases then any Weaver style rings should work. There are many options for a reasonable 3x9 scope, it just depends on your scope budget. For not too much money you can find a Redfield (made by Leupold), Nikon, Burris, etc. that will work for your purpose.

Can you post a picture or two of your scope bases?