HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/390827-trigger-adjustment-ruger-77-a.html)

alleyyooper 04-06-2014 05:28 AM

Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77

Any one have information on Adjusting the Trigger of a Ruger 77 tang safety rifle.
Yes it is supposed to be adjustable as it has three screws but I am not able to find information on it like you can on a Remington 700.

No I am not going to buy a aftermarket trigger.

:D Al

Big Uncle 04-06-2014 11:14 AM

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...77-below79.pdf

See page 7. Maybe Brownells for the spring.

You may be able to get some help at the rugerforum.com site, but if I had to do this and was unsure in any way I would get a fairly inexpensive trigger job from an experienced gunsmith.

Bbj270 04-06-2014 12:28 PM

Took my dads 77 tang safety and my 3 77 mark ll to a gunsmith he replaced a spring in all of them now there at 2 1/2 lbs.

alleyyooper 04-07-2014 02:19 AM

Been searching on line off and on for several years for the adjustment information. Nada out there, Ruger,com is no help either. Every one seems to want a aftermarket trigger installed, despite the factory one being adjustable some how.

keyshunter 04-07-2014 04:00 AM

The Ruger tang safety rifle has a hex screw adjustment on the trigger. Backing out this screw removes spring tension until the spring bottoms on the trigger. Backing the screw out further has no effect. Once this point of contact is reached, shortening the spring, or using a lighter one is the only way to reduce tension.

Topgun 3006 04-07-2014 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by keyshunter (Post 4132927)
The Ruger tang safety rifle has a hex screw adjustment on the trigger. Backing out this screw removes spring tension until the spring bottoms on the trigger. Backing the screw out further has no effect. Once this point of contact is reached, shortening the spring, or using a lighter one is the only way to reduce tension.

You are right on the button with that analysis and that's why Ruger doesn't provide instructions on it. Mine is fine on my 25-06 and from what I understand you're not going to accomplish more than about 1/2# less by backing it out before it has no more effect. Then it's replace the spring, as the spring itself on that model is the main poundage adjustment. Ruger specifically states not to attempt to decrease the weight below their preset minimum, but I know people are having the spring redone as stated above or are doing it themselves if they have the skill and knowledge. Also, don't go screwing around (pun intended) with the overtravel adjustment screw that is up higher on the backend of the trigger assembly that you can only get to by taking the trigger assembly out of the stock. Ruger actually had a safety recall for all M77 tang safety systems a number of years ago and it involves removing and replacing it with a hex head locking screw so it's not able to be adjusted. Ones made at the factory after the recall were epoxied so you can't even take it out to get at the overtravel adjustment screw because it is very delicate and can lead to accidental discharges if set wrong. Ruger etched a "T" on the underside of the bolt handle to designate the repair at the factory. If anyone has one that had that modification, they specify that no attempt should be made to remove it or it will permanently damage the screw and housing. If you have one that hasn't been done, you can contact the company and they will send you the instructions along with a free allen wrench and new lock screw to do it yourself. It's very simple IF you follow the instructions properly. The first page in the link that Big Uncle posted above has the information on the recall and what to do.

alleyyooper 04-09-2014 04:48 AM

Bit the bullet and took the rifle to Williams Gun Sight Company Davison Michigan. Got to talk to the smith about it. He said not many of those old Ruger's had those factory adjustable 3 screw triggers. He figured less than 5000 made and most on a 77V platform.
Any way for $30.00 he will have it down to 2.5 pounds in short order.

Big Uncle 04-09-2014 05:00 AM

That is about the right price for a smith to change springs.

Bbj270 04-09-2014 06:25 AM

The last one I had done by a smith was about 6 years ago on a ruger 77 mark ll in 6mm was about $20. So $30 not bad.

Big Uncle 04-10-2014 05:13 AM

You may want to ask for the old spring back in case you ever want to restore the rifle to original.

alleyyooper 04-11-2014 03:48 AM

No springs are going to be changed. All adjustments are going to be done with the three screws.

Big Uncle 04-12-2014 06:26 AM

If he is not going to cut or change the spring I would sure like to see how he accomplishes the pull weight. Turning the screw might drop it a little but I have not seen it turn a 4 pound trigger into a 2.

What was the weight before adjustment?

Topgun 3006 04-12-2014 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=Big Uncle;4133836]If he is not going to cut or change the spring I would sure like to see how he accomplishes the pull weight. Turning the screw might drop it a little but I have not seen it turn a 4 pound trigger into a 2.

What was the weight before adjustment?[/QUOTE

***Same here and I'm guessing what he's going to do to drop it lower is not recommended!

alleyyooper 04-13-2014 03:26 AM

Screws 3 of the buggers. Like I said to start 3 screws similar to the Remington 700.

Topgun 3006 04-13-2014 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by alleyyooper (Post 4133934)
Screws 3 of the buggers. Like I said to start 3 screws similar to the Remington 700.

***Ruger specifically tells you not to "SCREW" with those other two screws in the assembly and "similar" to a Rem doesn't hack it when you're talking gun safety! Why do you think they actually started to epoxy one of them in so it can't even be adjusted! :eek2:

Nomercy448 04-13-2014 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by alleyyooper (Post 4132915)
Been searching on line off and on for several years for the adjustment information. Nada out there, Ruger,com is no help either. Every one seems to want a aftermarket trigger installed, despite the factory one being adjustable some how.

Should kinda paint a picture for you that despite the "adjustable" trigger, everyone recommends an aftermarket replacement. There really is a reason for that.

Lighter springs in M77's, in my experience, have lightened, but not necessarily improved the triggers. Heavy, but crisp triggers began to feel 'creepy' when the springs are lightened. Not all of them acted this way, but some did. A well used trigger would end up a better trigger since it had spent years 'self polishing', but I still felt the travel, so for what it's worth, it's just way too easy to drop in a replacement.

Granted, I've only played with a 3screw trigger once, and it wasn't mine, so I can't really comment other than I have HEARD that it's not recommended to play with them/other than the tension adjuster.

alleyyooper 04-14-2014 04:16 AM

Copy and pasted on the Remington trigger.

In the U.S.A., we live in a litigious society, that means fools will do really stupid crap, and then sue someone else, because "It's their fault, they made me do it!".

But Remington (because of many lawsuits) takes a very dim view of adjusting their triggers... it's number "1" under Remington's "Felony list of no-no's".First step in adjusting one is to, break the white "Seals of God" and screw the three screws out enough so that you see several threads.

What I now believe.
Probably the biggest reason you can not find information on the 3 screw Ruger trigger is there are just so few of them compared to a Remington 700, model 7 and the 700 muzzle loaders.
Also so many just take the rifle to a smith and buy a aftermarket trigger rather than try to make the factory trigger expectable.
I like the factory triggers on My Remington's very much and would not think of spending a dine on a after market trigger for a Remington.

Should be getting the Ruger back this week.

Big Uncle 04-14-2014 12:22 PM

I hope you are pleased with the results. Trigger jobs on my tang safety 77 hunting rifles brought noticeable improvements.

Did you measure the weight of the trigger before sending it to the smith?

alleyyooper 04-15-2014 04:42 AM

My RCBS trigger pull gage goes to 75 ounces. The Ruger trigger was braking after that limit was reached.

alleyyooper 04-17-2014 04:09 AM

Got it back yesterday. Pull scales says 32Onces right on the dot. Felt good with the snap cap so hopefully can shoot it over the weekend.

Big Uncle 04-17-2014 05:34 AM

That's good news.

I still think he probably changed the spring, but it does not matter how he did it. A $30 trigger job, and done quickly!

Topgun 3006 04-17-2014 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4134871)
That's good news.

I still think he probably changed the spring, but it does not matter how he did it. A $30 trigger job, and done quickly!

***If he didn't change the spring and it goes boom some day when it's not supposed to, it will matter how he did it! :nonono2::D

Bullcamp82834 04-17-2014 09:52 AM

You can monkey with that factory Ruger trigger till possums fly and never get it as nice as a SpecTech aftermarket trigger.
About 70 bucks and as easy to install as putting batteries and a new bulb in a flashlight.
Best thing I ever did for my Mod 77 35 Whelen.

Big Uncle 04-24-2014 09:55 AM

How did it feel when you shot it?

Bullcamp82834 04-27-2014 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4136173)
How did it feel when you sot it?

If that was for me........the answer is it felt superb.
Better than any Rem 700 trigger I've ever shot and just about in the class with a well adjusted Timney or factory Kimber trigger.

To beat an old phrase to death, it breaks like a glass rod. It is also easily adjustable and has held its adjustment through quite a bit of shooting.
Any future Rugers I acquire will be fitted with a SpecTech right away.

alleyyooper 05-01-2014 11:22 AM

Sun came out yesterday and I found I didn't have any pressing things to do so took the swift to my back yard range.

New one last fall.

After a bit of 50 yard work (about 10 rounds) since the action had been out of the stock to get it sighted in again for 200 yards I took a trailer load of water filled milk jugs to a cut bank on the creek flood plain. Range was 175 ranged yards. Was a lot of fun watching those jugs explode and the water fly. One I had stapled a chunk of card board to a tree with the jug in front. A 55gr. Hornady A max exploded the jug but not even a tiny bump in the card board that bullet just exploded it seemed.
I also shot some 55gr, Sierra spire points the normal load I had worked up., they exploded the milk jugs but didn't do the damage that the A Maxes did. Finally the rain clouds rolled back in so I packed things up so to get out of the rain. I went back and got the scrap jugs when it cleared in the evening.

Sure like that trigger now and nothing like exploding water jugs for range work. Can't hardly wait to try those A maxes on a coyote.

huffmanite 05-02-2014 09:07 AM

Late to post about what I did to improve the trigger pull on my Ruger Tang Safety 77, but I ended up with a pull well under 2 lbs by installing a Rifle Basix trigger sear for the tang safety for what I recall was less than $50. This is not a complete trigger assembly, just the trigger itself. Been 3 or 4 years ago, so I'm not sure exactly every thing I did. Definitely, readjusted the appropriate screw on the original trigger assembly to lighten pull. May have replaced spring with a lighter one. Did some honing on the Rifle Basix trigger sear and what it contacted on the cocking piece. Used a very fine Arkansas hardstone my father used back in the days of shaving with a straight edge razor blade to hone with.

LOL, after reassembling every thing and trying the trigger for the first time, rather surprised by how lite the pull was. So light, I recocked the rifle and bounced the butt of rifle on top of my workbench and then the floor to see if it would release. It didn't. Slammed shut the bolt a number of times and still trigger wouldn't release. Would shoot the rifle for about a year on a very regular basis at range I'm a member and never a problem with it. However, when I switched shooting from one rifle with a heavier trigger pull to my tang safety rifle, there would be times I'd carelessly put my finger on the trigger before I was finishing sighting my crosshair on the target and due to its light release, the rifle fired. I readjusted the original trigger assembly screw to a heavier pull, which it is where it is still set.