Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77 >

Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77

Old 04-06-2014, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77

Any one have information on Adjusting the Trigger of a Ruger 77 tang safety rifle.
Yes it is supposed to be adjustable as it has three screws but I am not able to find information on it like you can on a Remington 700.

No I am not going to buy a aftermarket trigger.

Al
Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...77-below79.pdf

See page 7. Maybe Brownells for the spring.

You may be able to get some help at the rugerforum.com site, but if I had to do this and was unsure in any way I would get a fairly inexpensive trigger job from an experienced gunsmith.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 04-06-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Took my dads 77 tang safety and my 3 77 mark ll to a gunsmith he replaced a spring in all of them now there at 2 1/2 lbs.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Been searching on line off and on for several years for the adjustment information. Nada out there, Ruger,com is no help either. Every one seems to want a aftermarket trigger installed, despite the factory one being adjustable some how.

Al
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

The Ruger tang safety rifle has a hex screw adjustment on the trigger. Backing out this screw removes spring tension until the spring bottoms on the trigger. Backing the screw out further has no effect. Once this point of contact is reached, shortening the spring, or using a lighter one is the only way to reduce tension.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by keyshunter
The Ruger tang safety rifle has a hex screw adjustment on the trigger. Backing out this screw removes spring tension until the spring bottoms on the trigger. Backing the screw out further has no effect. Once this point of contact is reached, shortening the spring, or using a lighter one is the only way to reduce tension.
You are right on the button with that analysis and that's why Ruger doesn't provide instructions on it. Mine is fine on my 25-06 and from what I understand you're not going to accomplish more than about 1/2# less by backing it out before it has no more effect. Then it's replace the spring, as the spring itself on that model is the main poundage adjustment. Ruger specifically states not to attempt to decrease the weight below their preset minimum, but I know people are having the spring redone as stated above or are doing it themselves if they have the skill and knowledge. Also, don't go screwing around (pun intended) with the overtravel adjustment screw that is up higher on the backend of the trigger assembly that you can only get to by taking the trigger assembly out of the stock. Ruger actually had a safety recall for all M77 tang safety systems a number of years ago and it involves removing and replacing it with a hex head locking screw so it's not able to be adjusted. Ones made at the factory after the recall were epoxied so you can't even take it out to get at the overtravel adjustment screw because it is very delicate and can lead to accidental discharges if set wrong. Ruger etched a "T" on the underside of the bolt handle to designate the repair at the factory. If anyone has one that had that modification, they specify that no attempt should be made to remove it or it will permanently damage the screw and housing. If you have one that hasn't been done, you can contact the company and they will send you the instructions along with a free allen wrench and new lock screw to do it yourself. It's very simple IF you follow the instructions properly. The first page in the link that Big Uncle posted above has the information on the recall and what to do.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-07-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Bit the bullet and took the rifle to Williams Gun Sight Company Davison Michigan. Got to talk to the smith about it. He said not many of those old Ruger's had those factory adjustable 3 screw triggers. He figured less than 5000 made and most on a 77V platform.
Any way for $30.00 he will have it down to 2.5 pounds in short order.

Al
Old 04-09-2014, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is about the right price for a smith to change springs.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

The last one I had done by a smith was about 6 years ago on a ruger 77 mark ll in 6mm was about $20. So $30 not bad.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to ask for the old spring back in case you ever want to restore the rifle to original.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.