Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

painting a stock

Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default painting a stock

Anyone ever paint a injection molded stock? How did you do it {air brush,shaker can},what paint did you use?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive done a few. there are a couple issues you need to consider.if you want a long lasting durable job. its all about prep work. some of these plastics use release agents that are tough to get off the plastic and makes it hard for the paint to stick.i would lightly scuff up with a pad or use like 600 grit sand paper and scub with dish detergent .an airbrush works nice. duracoat is what i like to use.its a 2 part finish that takes a couple weeks to cure but is tuff stuff. http://www.lauerweaponry.com/ if your not picky and want a quick semi durable finish i would use the krylon camo fusion spray paints. you may wanna use a matte clear krylon to toughen up the finish from scratchs.another paint to consider is the truck bed liner in the can. it will give you a texture finish though. you could also give it a factory webbing look by using krylon webbing paint in the spray can over the base coat of the bedliner in the can. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=98214_0_0_ i did a shotgun stock and was amazed how it turned out. looks like the big dollar custom stocks. http://websearch.cs.com/cs/boomframe...p%2FB000XAOJG8

Last edited by liquidorange; 03-29-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank-you liquidorange for that informative input...much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Spike

I would recommend the use of acetone for removing the release agent(s). More often than not, that agent is silicone. Initial sanding will only "drive" the silicone only deeper into the molded stock. I prefer to remove it first and then sand lightly.

Here is a stock on a muzzle loader I gave a facelift about 2 years ago with a "stone" finish. It also has two clear satin top coats for glare reduction and added durability. This finish has held up very well and still looks good as new. Picture actually is a bit washed out and the color is more "hunter green" than what is seen.

There are about four or five different colors to chose from. I decided to stay away from camo patterns trying to stay away from the tactical look. BTW...the finish is easy on your chin when anchoring. This was a concern when I started with my project.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys,i'm gonna replace the stock on my rem. 700 with a boyd stock but i'm gonna keep the factory stock and just wanted to play around with it.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DougB.
I would recommend the use of acetone for removing the release agent(s). More often than not, that agent is silicone. Initial sanding will only "drive" the silicone only deeper into the molded stock. I prefer to remove it first and then sand lightly.
there are some nasty release agents. some times they need to be scorched out with flame. the process is on you -tube but i think youll be fine with some comet scrub and de-nature alcohol. acetone can leave a residue that i know duracoat dont like so i stay away and use the alcohol.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Spike

I know is post is old, but after looking around awhile for my 887 I found a place that has Ati stocks for the 887 model. I lucked out and got a ATI pistol grip/colapsable stock. It's pretty sweet now. I was going to get rid of the gun but glad I didn't now!
The place I found was www.rocksolidshotgun.com
Hope this helps everyone!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hookeye,

Looks great to me..................... I like it !!!

I must admit, I prefer stainless barrels though.