HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   Wad build up in shotgun barrel? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/387927-wad-build-up-shotgun-barrel.html)

DJfan 12-08-2013 06:32 PM

Wad build up in shotgun barrel?

My boy's 20 gauge was jamming on every round. Took it to the local gun smith. He showed me a ring about 4" into the barrel from the action, that he said was small particles of was plastic that had burned onto the inside of the barrel. He said it was grabbing the empty shells and not letting them eject.

He recommended I get some solvent and scrub it out with that and a wire brush from my cleaning kit.

An hour and one sore shoulder later, it is still there, melted in the barrel.

Anyone ever had this, and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks.

Ridge Runner 12-08-2013 07:01 PM

4"in and its grabbing the fired shells which only measure 3" AFTER firing, better look at something else.
RR

DJfan 12-08-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4105990)
4"in and its grabbing the fired shells which only measure 3" AFTER firing, better look at something else.
RR

Haha. I can't measure. It's 2.5" - 3'5" deep.

SecondChance 12-31-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DJfan (Post 4105997)
Haha. I can't measure. It's 2.5" - 3'5" deep.

I don't believe its plastic after an hour of scrubbing. I think it may be rust built up and now is severly pitted. Besides, I have never heard of plastic build up like that in any shotgun. Take that brush or get a new one, take an old shotgun cleaning rod, cut off about 6" long, attach the brush and put in a cordless drill. Try cleaning out the chamber area that holds the brass of the case. I have found that more times than not, thats what causes shotgun shells to hang up in a situation like this. Does it do it with all shells or just high brass/magnum shells?

DJfan 12-31-2013 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SecondChance (Post 4112668)
I don't believe its plastic after an hour of scrubbing. I think it may be rust built up and now is severly pitted. Besides, I have never heard of plastic build up like that in any shotgun. Take that brush or get a new one, take an old shotgun cleaning rod, cut off about 6" long, attach the brush and put in a cordless drill. Try cleaning out the chamber area that holds the brass of the case. I have found that more times than not, thats what causes shotgun shells to hang up in a situation like this. Does it do it with all shells or just high brass/magnum shells?

It did it with all shells off and on. It's not been happening since I cleaned the snot out of it.

SecondChance 01-02-2014 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by DJfan (Post 4112681)
It did it with all shells off and on. It's not been happening since I cleaned the snot out of it.

Thats why I am led to believe that it was a rust issue and not plastic build up. I shoot over 20K shotgun shells a year out of my Kreighoff and Beretta trap guns and have never had this problem. Then throw in almost 1k out of my duck and goose gun, Super X2, and nothing. Glad to hear the issue is resolved!!!!! Go blast some!!!!!

DJfan 01-02-2014 08:15 AM

Thanks SC!! I had never heard of it either. That's the reason for the post.

It's my boy's and we are off to Nebraska in a week to thin out the population a bit.

Pictures to follow.

SecondChance 01-02-2014 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by DJfan (Post 4113058)
Thanks SC!! I had never heard of it either. That's the reason for the post.

It's my boy's and we are off to Nebraska in a week to thin out the population a bit.

Pictures to follow.

Have fun and be safe!!!! Waitn on pics!!!!! If you or anyone else does the drill and bore brush idea. After you are done, take a piece of 0000 steel wool and wrap it around that brush and do it again for a few minutes. It will take any left over scratches out and really slicks up the chamber area. Then oil it lightly with a rag and let it go.