HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   Mossberg 410 Pump Issue (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/385405-mossberg-410-pump-issue.html)

Mojotex 09-27-2013 05:49 AM

Mossberg 410 Pump Issue

Action jams on close cycle.

Have disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Was not dirty. Found no evidence of unusual wear markng. FOund no debris in action.

It will "jam" occasionally ... guessing about 50% of the time. Does not matter if it is cycling a round or empty. Does not seem to be associated with speed of the pump motion. May cycle fine 5-10 times in a row the jam. Or may jam on first stroke.

I noticed that the movement of the "Action Lock Lever" seems to be different when it jams from when it does not jam.

Stumped!.

NjHunter85 09-30-2013 07:08 PM

what exactly do you mean by "action lever"

NjHunter85 09-30-2013 07:09 PM

"action lock lever" I meant..and by different what do you mean by that?

NjHunter85 09-30-2013 07:17 PM

there should be 2 parts in the receiver I believe they are on the inside. one on the left one on the right. they are like 6" long, skinny, and have a "hook" if you wanna call it that. these parts are called the cartridge stop and the cartridge interrupter. sometimes they go bad, get bent, don't function properly whatever it may be. You can find a diagram somewhere online of that model and look at the parts im talking about. Try to replace them, they should be cheap and easy to replace.

NjHunter85 09-30-2013 07:19 PM

if you call Mossberg and explain the problem I think they will send you those parts for free. or if you don't wanna go through the hastle just order them somewhere like at your local gun shop or online. ..Im not 100% sure but there isn't to many parts inside that gun and if you found no wear marks and its clean then you have to focus on the parts that move and chamber the round.

Mojotex 10-03-2013 08:27 AM

Appreciate the hint.

I looked at an "On Line" exploded view of this firearm. I also had a how to disassemble manual ... which was a hoot, because not one word about how to reassemble !!!

Best I could tell "Action Lock Lever" was the name give in the exploded view to a metal "ear" that is at the base of the stock, aside the trigger housing. Some how the position of this works in conjunction with the abiity to cycle shells.

When it sort of "bounces" upward-downward as I try to cycle, the action jams about half way to close. When it does not bounce, it cycles fine.

I am familiar with the two parts that you described. I played heck keeping them in their proper slots during reassembly. I have give up and am taking it to a qualified gunsmith.

NjHunter85 12-19-2013 06:32 PM

i am curious what the outcome was with your Mossberg pump? what did the gunsmith say was the problem?