Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Remington 721

Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Spike

Default Remington 721

I inherited a Remington 721 30-06 from my grampa. Problem is, it has a broken trigger guard. It has a hinged floorplate. Anyone know where I can find a replacement?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
pretty sure its the same as a long action 700 BDL. run it by your local smith to be sure.
RR

You're right. But something's odd here.. The 721's (and 722's) were an integral one-piece floor plate and trigger guard. If you do indeed have a hinged floorplate, sounds to me like someone has dropped a 721 barreled action into a 700 stock, complete with the factory hinged floorplate assembly. Quite an easy job, as the action screws line up the same.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I never did reply to your question.. Gunsmith's, gun collectors, gun shows are all places to check for a new assembly.. you may also wish to check out Numrich Arms. The have lots of gun parts and related items. Lots of older Remingtons are often bought up to re-barrel into custom cartridges and to re-stock with different stocks, and the floorplate assemblies are in high demand because of that. Keep your eyes and ears open, and I'm sure something will turn up for you....
Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Spike

Thanks. I have it at my gunsmith now. He's looking into using the 700 to replace. Hope it works. I have a new stock from Boyd's. my grampa was a leftie and hand crafted a stock, so I have to change it out for a righty. Shame.. His stock is gorgeous.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Spike

learn to shoot ambidextrious.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

I just totally restored a 721 30-06, but it doesn't have a hinged floor plate. Trigger guard is a one piece deal. I have the old floorplate that was scratched. I picked up a new on fleabay.

Here is one on broker
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=346125740