Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

walking groups

Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default walking groups

I've got a H&R Handi-Rifle in .243 that won't hold a group once the barrel heats up, which seems to only take 3 shots. I've read that placing a small o-ring under the barrel at the screw post make them more accurate but haven't had great results with that yet. Has anybody had a similar problem and if so what did you do to correct it?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

well....if the 1st 3 group well, you should be ready to hunt. alot of guys wish they could make the 1st shot hit where the 3rd shot does. i actually took a few weeks goin to the range when i could, just to sight in to where the 1st shot goes. .have ya shot this in cold weather?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Krub, is your forearm touching the barrel and/or are you putting the forearm on the front bag at different locations? Both of these will cause different pressure points on the barrel and especially when the barrel heats up will change the harmonics of the barrel and change your point of impact.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

walking groupes is sadly the nature of h&r rifles, and almost every other rifle that doesnt have a free floated barrel. aside from bedding the barrel (big undertaking for a less expensive rifle) there really isnt much you can do. try picking up the choat forearm, it usually fits better then the factory wood stock and its allows proper air circulation to keep the barrel cool. i spent months trying to get my old h&r ultra hunter 25-06 to shoot sub moa and the best i could get was a very slooow fired 5 round group at around 1.25 inches. that was with handloading, glass bedding and recrowning of the barrel. there is the odd h&r/nef floating around that can put some bolt guns to shame but they are rare.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the input fellows sounds pretty much inline with what I've heard on other forums.
Has anybody tried the six position stock w/ forend from ATI?

Last edited by krub6b; 11-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.