HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   Ruger M77 switchbarrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/370679-ruger-m77-switchbarrel.html)

bucklessyooper 09-04-2012 06:39 AM

Ruger M77 switchbarrel

I’ve got a Ruger M77 MKII 338 win mag with a Hogue overmolded stock with bedding block, timney trigger, and Nikon scope.

I’m considering having Williams gunsmithing install a FTC 7mm Remington magnum barrel (24 inch with whatever twist will stabilize a 140 grain bullet well, or a 120 grain barnes).Probably a Shilen, Hart, or similar barrel.

Here’s my questions for the guru’s :

1) With the 7mm barrel installed can I simply take a barrel wrench and barrel vise (after removing stock & scope) , remove the barrel, screw in the 338 win mag barrel, check fit with Go-No go chamber gauge and then reinstall stock and scope?

2) Roughly how long for a novice such as myself to do the above step? Not something I would do often, but when I finally get a chance to go out west, or get a moose tag.

Before anybody gets excited there is no arguments on my end that the 7mm mag wouldn’t do moose, or elk, but prefer to use the 338 mag on moose or elk, since its what I originally bought the rifle for. Know a guy at home that regularly shoots his moose with a 7mm mag.

I realize I don’t need a 7mm mag for deer either, but in the boondocks where I typically hunt deer I can drive 30-60 minutes and be 90% guaranteed of getting rounds whereas the 338 mag isn’t always guaranteed.

Still like my 30-06 bolt and pump guns ,but this rifle is slowly getting customized to where I want it. I’m fortunate that the gas station 3 miles from camp sells 30-06; never had to buy there, but enjoy having it handy.
:party0005:

zeek99 09-05-2012 03:54 PM

You will need a (Quality) set of tools to do the job; one that fits correctly so that you don't twist the action or the barrel slips in the vise and scratches it bad. A set of tools will run upwards of $400 plus the cost of a new barrel. It takes me about 1 hour to do this but it is a pain to make sure the barrel is lined up right if it has sights on it so it's not canted.
It would be cheaper to get a rifle in your caliber.
Good luck

bucklessyooper 09-05-2012 07:46 PM

Thanks Zeek,

For some reason I thought tools were cheaper, but now when I think of it I was probably looking at tools for a Savage 110. Looked at a few projects like this over the years and sometimes they blend together.

No iron sights on this rifle, so it would be a little easier.

Did you get your tools through Midway, Brownells, or ?

zeek99 09-06-2012 11:14 AM

Brownell's. The one I use belongs to a friend and we mostly work on pre64 Winchesters. The inserts for the action wrench are model specific and pricey. You will need rosin powder if you get the tools.
Not pushing the Savage 110 but you can find a good used 7mag for cheap.
Good luck with your project.

Flatland Slugger 09-06-2012 08:14 PM

Buy and set up another gun! Switch barrels are a myth or buy a crappy T/C that you have to buy several scopes,mounts all but another gun for. They are a pain in the ass and not worth the trouble, hell, buy a used rifle if your willing to hack it anyway and have something worth owning. Switch barrels are like having 2 sets of tires for 1 vehicle, no matter the condition the tires you need will always be the set in the garage.