Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
convert .222 to .223? >

convert .222 to .223?

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

convert .222 to .223?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Spike

Default convert .222 to .223?

Howdy, I would like to know if it is possible to chamber ream a .222 rifle to .223 and have a rifle no less accurate then it was as a .222? Is this a safe thing to do and could I do it myself if I bought the reamer?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Spike

How hard can it be? I have rechambered a.357 mag to .357 max and have reasonable shop facilities (not gunsmithing). I just wasn't sure about the .222 to .223 differences. Now I will continue my search for a shotgun/rifle combo.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

357mag to max is usualy done by smiths with a small boring bar since its substantially cheaper to use a common shop tool in favour of reamers, albiet the better smiths use a reamer. custom .22 chambers can also be bored or almost any straight wall chamber providing the smith has a small enough boring bar. bottleneck cases need to be reamed. if you do not have a micrometer style headspace gauge and depth adjustable reamers or are unfamiliar with the headspace gauge and feeler gauge technique then maybe pass this job to your smith. based on my own experience reaming straight wall is a piece of cake compared to property reaming bottleneck. it takes alot of practice to get a good finish and you need a lathe if you dont want the chamber off round.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Spike

The performance of both cartridges is nearly equal. I don't see what you would gain by doing a rechamber unless you are wanting something that offers cheaper and more readily available ammo.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Rem. 788 at a auction years ago that was supposed to be a 222, found out it had been reamed out to a 223, apparently it is or was a common conversion. The rifle was still extremely accurate. Kinda wish I still had it.