Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Bernelli Nova pump >

Bernelli Nova pump

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Bernelli Nova pump

Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bernelli Nova pump

I was at a Wild Game Feast Saturday night and won the grand prize, a Bernelli Nova 3.5", 12 Ga pump. Great turkey gun for me.
Got a little problem, I can't get but one 3.5 " round to load in the magazine. Reckon they put two plugs in that thing from the factory or do you have any other ideas?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

It's easy enough to take apart and see whats in the tube. Let us know what you find.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only one way to find out..............
Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tore it down last night and it only has one long plug, the orange one you see when you remove the cap to take the barrel off. I took that plug out and now the magazine holds either three or four 3.5" shells, I can't remember which, that was several hours ago.
Put some light oil on everything and the gun seems to work great. No problem loading and ejecting. I've not fired it yet, I may sell it.
The parts list shows a short plug that is not there but if that plug was there, it would be hard to get anything in the magazine. I don't know if someone during assembly put the wrong long plug in it or what. I think I'll contact their customer service to see what is going on. You would think a person would be able to put two shells in the magazine of a new gun. Might as well buy a doulble barrell.

Last edited by rockytop; 02-21-2012 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-21-2012, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

The plugs are of varying lengths for a gun that shoots from 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" shells so you can change them out such that only two shells will go in the magazine for a max of three in the gun when you have to follow the waterfowl regs. That plug you took out should have allowed two shells to be loaded because to the best of my knowledge none are made long enough to only allow one in the magazine. I suspect the tube was sticking on the spring or something to that effect if you were only able to get one shell in it.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I keep it, I'll get me some dowels and cut them custom length for each size shell
Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very good idea rockytop. That's what my Winchester Model 1200 has in it, but it is strictly a 2 3/4 incher. I bought it back in 1967 after I finished high school and it's nicer now after the stock was refinished that when it was new.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Between the 2 of you guyz, you got it figured out.

" I'll get me some dowels and cut them custom length for each size shell " Rocky

Best and least expensive way to handle it !

In the ole' days; that's what plugs were ~ wooden, not plastic.

BTW - Keep it............You'll be glad you did !!!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

You callin me old, LOL!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

With age come experience.

With experience come knowledge.

With knowledge comes.................I forget - I'm old now ~ LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.