Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Copper fouling

Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Copper fouling

I've heard good things about M-Pro 7 Copper Remover for removing copper fouling. I've never used it before. What has been others experience with it? Pros/cons? Better products at removing copper?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

there all pretty much ammonia. i use shooters choice to get the copper out. keep in mind that some guns like a little fowling so i dont get to stressed about getting it all out. a good cleaning with regular hoppes and a copper cleaner once in a while.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

I use Wipe-Out, the foaming bore cleaner, as it does not contain ammonia, and cleans the bore without using a brush. Spray the foam into the barrel, let it sit, patch it out. Very simple and effective.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

windex window cleaner
Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hoghunting
I use Wipe-Out, the foaming bore cleaner, as it does not contain ammonia, and cleans the bore without using a brush. Spray the foam into the barrel, let it sit, patch it out. Very simple and effective.
I use Wipe Out's Patch out. It's not the foaming bore cleaner that I use but the liquid. I like this stuff, but other than Hoppes and other similar products I've not used much to compare it to.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

I use Wipe out also and it works great brought the accuracy back in my one gun that was 26 yrs. old. But I would recommend that you go to a hardware store and buy about 6 in. of 1/4 in plastic tubing. Insert this inside the tubing that comes with wipe out can. This will allow you to insert in a few inches inside the breech part of the barrel and not get a back up of foam all over your gun and stock. Then plug the other end and let the gun sit flat over night and patch out a few times until the patch is clean. You will get a blue green patch the first few times telling you it was removing the copper. Its well worth the purchase. It gets out the carbon ring also just try it and you will be happy.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like Hoppes Bench Rest Copper Solvent. Works great in all my guns.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

I know this is an old post, but do you guys let your gun tell you when enough is enough as far as copper fouling? I had a 700 that was copper colored at the muzzle, probably 150 shots through it with out cleaning, and it kept shooting tighter and tighter until I got rid of it like a fool.

My ignorance at a younger age kept me from cleaning the bore earlier on, but then I noticed it was shooting better, so then I didn't clean the bore on purpose then, for fear of messing up a good thing.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TreednNC
I know this is an old post, but do you guys let your gun tell you when enough is enough as far as copper fouling? I had a 700 that was copper colored at the muzzle, probably 150 shots through it with out cleaning, and it kept shooting tighter and tighter until I got rid of it like a fool.

No, but I do believe that is the way to go. When I clean with JB bore paste, it usually takes at least 10 or more shots before it starts tightening up again. I do clean with Hopps #9 after every outing and then put a protective coat of Breakfree for storage. Before I shoot on the next outing, I dry patch the barrel.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hoppe's Elite copper remover is great and contains no ammonia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.