Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

New rifle build

Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Spike

Default New rifle build

Looking for some opinion.
I am going to build a new bench rifle, mostly shot at 200 yard, but ocassionally out to 600.
It will be .22 cal (probably .222) and on a savage action.
I am considering the savage target action but they are fairly expensive and would rather put the extra money toward glass. What would be a good factory donor action to start with and would the target action make a real difference in accuracy compared to a 10 or 12 action?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the target action may be trued...you also get the lightweight trigger and large bolt handle. The target actions do not have the large cutouts and are therefore more stiff.

Then again, there are some very accurate factory rifles built on the 10 action; building your own would be even better.

Only thing you can do is weigh your options
Old 02-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Spike

Default Savage Actions?

I have put together several rifles using Savage/Stevens actions.
None are bench-rest,however, all shoot very well.
Savage 12fv 220 Swift minute of prairie dog out past 400yds.
Savage 10 250/3000 very nice whitetail rifle
Stevens 200 257 Roberts
Stevens 200 250 Ackley an exceptionally good shooter with a Shilen barrel.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

A bench rifle used to shoot mostly 200 yards and occasionally 600 yards? Well for 200 yards a 30BR or a 6PPC is superior to all others, now throw in 600 yards and that changes everything. A 22 cal is out, You just cant get a high enough BC bullet unless you are going to try a 220 swift and the 90 grain Bergers. A great all around chambering would be a 6BR, great accuracy for close stuff and still holds it's own out to 600 yards and even a 1000 is you want to stretch it out a bit. Savage makes decent actions and there is nothing wrong with one, but I would opt for a remington myself. If money is a concern and your set on a Savage just buy one ready to go chambered in a 6BR 8 twist and shoot either 105 or 108 bergers.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
A great all around chambering would be a 6BR, great accuracy for close stuff and still holds it's own out to 600 yards and even a 1000 is you want to stretch it out a bit.
+1....The 6br is super accurate and easiest cartridge to get data for. The 6ppc and 6brx are great but it takes a lot of time to load. Another great but overlooked round is the 243 win and in most cases has better ballistics and less wind drift then most rounds used for competition. Go to http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html for ideas on rifles and cartridges to get yourself better informed.