HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   Remington 887 Nitro Mag problems (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/326727-remington-887-nitro-mag-problems.html)

Buckmaster xX 07-29-2010 09:41 AM

Remington 887 Nitro Mag problems

I was just wondering if everyone was having the same problem as me on having the chamber to jam up. I always end up having to hit the stock on the ground to eject the shells. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

jrbsr 07-29-2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Buckmaster xX (Post 3654995)
I was just wondering if everyone was having the same problem as me on having the chamber to jam up. I always end up having to hit the stock on the ground to eject the shells. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Sounds like the shells are swelling up in the chamber, or theres some surface rust in the chamber.
Clean it real good, if that doesn't help.
You need to have a gunsmith look at it.

Buckmaster xX 07-29-2010 10:04 AM

Well Ive cleaned 2-3 times, and its a brand new gun......Took out on first day duckhunting last year and shot a duck and it jammed on first shot. Ended my hunting day in a very bad day. Seems the chamber doesnt wanna shut all the way with out it getting hung.

jrbsr 07-30-2010 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Buckmaster xX (Post 3655011)
Well Ive cleaned 2-3 times, and its a brand new gun......Took out on first day duckhunting last year and shot a duck and it jammed on first shot. Ended my hunting day in a very bad day. Seems the chamber doesnt wanna shut all the way with out it getting hung.

Call Remingtons customer service, and ask them what to do.

Big Z 07-30-2010 07:44 AM

You need to hone your chamber. Small imperfections in it allow the shotshell metal to flow into their grooves and get stuck.

The cheapest cure to the problem is to use a section of cleaning rod with a 20 gauge brush in it (if its a 12 ga). Wrap the brush in steel wool so it's thick enough to fit firmly in the gun's chamber. Mount the rod in a drill. Spray everything down with gun oil before and during the process of running the drill full speed in the chamber for about a minute (move the drill in and out a ways while you're at it), and repeat the process a couple times using finer grades of steel wool. When you're done, clean the barrel.

The chamber should be mirror-shiny and the gun should operate properly.

Buckmaster xX 07-30-2010 09:59 AM

Ill try what you said. But its the chamber....It doesnt wanna close all the way making it jam.

Big Z 07-31-2010 07:44 AM

Hmm....the above has cured extraction problems for me AFTER firing, but I've never had any problems getting the round chambered. If it's difficult to load a shell by hand without using the bolt, the above may/should/could cure it. That would mean the problem lies in the rough chamber and not a rough mechanism elsewhere. If not, you're catching somewhere else (obviously...) and need to diagnose the problem and polish/lubricate to fix it.

It's a 5 minute project so it's worth a try anyways...

Buckmaster xX 07-31-2010 06:17 PM

Tried it today. Didnt work. Taking it to a gunsmith monday.