Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Copper fouling

Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Spike

Default Copper fouling

Your cleaning tips are of great use.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Spike

After cleaning your bore with the usual solvents (I use hoppe's), and JB bore cleaner (paste) to finish cleaning the copper from my rifle bore if it is heavily fouled. JB's bore cleaner will not damage your bore and will leave it with a mirror finish, I normally use the product once or twice a year per firearm so the product will last several years. I should note that I ruined the barrels of two Remington Mountain rifles by using a copper solvent an cleaning solvent that were not compatabile (not named for obvious reasons), that's when I switched back to Hoppe's and JB's bore cleaner. William

Last edited by ra18657; 04-05-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ra18657
After cleaning your bore with the usual solvents (I use hoppe's), and JB bore cleaner (paste) to finish cleaning the copper from my rifle bore if it is heavily fouled. JB's bore cleaner will not damage your bore and will leave it with a mirror finish, I normally use the product once or twice a year per firearm so the product will last several years. I should note that I ruined the barrels of two Remington Mountain rifles by using a copper solvent an cleaning solvent that were not compatabile (not named for obvious reasons), that's when I switched back to Hoppe's and JB's bore cleaner. William
Hoppe's #9 is my main stay for solvents. I like to soak a Barrel over night after running some Kroil oil soaked patches through as well. I like you use JB bore brite a few times a year for a good polishing. Use just #9 lightly between outings too not over clean a barrels. My hammer fordged rem barrels and my shilen cut barrels seem to want fowling say ten rounds to get tuned up.