Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Problem with Marlin 336 >

Problem with Marlin 336

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Problem with Marlin 336

Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Spike

Default Problem with Marlin 336

I have a Marlin 336 that I love but I am starting to have problems.

On the same visit to the range the gun started misfiring (primer would not fire). There would be a small dent in the primer but not enough to ignite the power. On the same trip the gun jamed and I was not able to load a round.

Took the rifle to a local gunsmith and they were able to unjam the gun but after two visits to the gunsmith and $85 later the gun still will not fire every round.

The last visit to the range I fired seven shots with no problem. The eight and ninth shots did not fire. I put them back in the magazine and they fired the second time through.

These are reloads but I'm using the same primers that I use on my 270 and I never have a misfire.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy a box of factory ammo................then you'll know.

It might not be a, "problem with Marlin 336".
Old 08-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

There could be a few causes.

The Marlin has a two piece firing pin so that the gun can not be fired until the gun is locked up. If the two firing pins are not aligned you will get misfires. Check if something preventing the two pieces from lining up.

The firing pin spring may be broken or weak. If it is broken it may prevent the rear firing pin from aligning properly

The firing pin itself may be broken. Many times when a firing pin breaks it will still impact the primer but not hard enough to ignite it.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice.

Steve
Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

You don't mention the caliber of your 336. If it is a .30-30, or .32, these headspace on the shell rim, but if it is a .35 Rem, it headspaces on the shoulder. If factory ammo fires ok, then you are probably setting the shoulder back a bit when you size the cases for your reloads. This is not difficult to do with the small shoulder on a .35.

I don't know if Marlin has made changes in recent years, but in early .336's broken firing pins were far from unknown.