Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Tricks for accuracy on a Rem 700? >

Tricks for accuracy on a Rem 700?

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Tricks for accuracy on a Rem 700?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Anyone have any tricks on tightening up the accuracy on a Reminton 700?
Well one thing you can do that greatlyhelps is getting them "Blueprinted". This is a process in which the bolt face, BBL, and receiver are all squared up and then you lap you bolt in. Tento finish it off put a tac knob on the bolt handle. hope this helps
Old 04-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Float the barrel, pillerbed the action, along with glass bedding.
Add a Timney trigger, and a thumbhole stock.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Others have offered some very good tips here for obtaining accuracy. I will offer two more. #1 is alot of trigger time. I've found that the more one shoots using good techniques, the more accurate shooter one becomes. #2, recently a friend brought his 25-06 model 70 Winchester to me. He'd had for the better part of thirty years and always took very good care of it and faithfully maintained the barrel using Hoppes #9. The last couple of years though, its accuracy was getting very bad, akin to a shotgun patterern. So he thought maybe it was time for a new barrel. I looked at it and decided I'd try a good cleaning first. I Spent two days on it removing carbon and copper fouling. We took it to the range to try it out. His first hundred yard test resulted in a half inch group. The second group was also a half inch. I offered him $50 buck for that terrible shooting rifle. He only laughed. Bottom line, good barrel maintenance will also go along ways towards good accuracy. Goodluck with your Remy.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

If in fact you want to spend a fair amount of money accurizing your rifle, send it to Hill Country.

http://www.hillcountryrifles.com/pages/accurizing

Otherwise, I listed earlier in this thread the least expensive way to get the "most" for your money.

If new;

1st Hand lap the barrel

2nd Trigger job or replace trigger

3rd Pachmayr decelerator pad

4th Let your gun pick the ammo it likes best

5th We arear plugs & ear muffs (that's for you, not the gun - LOL !).

BTW - You'll notice this one is still the best thing anyone can do (part of finding the "right" ammo for your gun)

"#1 is alot of trigger time......." KT29

Nothing can replace PRACTICE !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-23-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like some chinese spam crept in.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a new SPS Buckmasters .270 Win last summer. Adjusted the X-Mark Pro trigger down to 3 lbs. and it's an absolute tackhammer (3/4" at 100 yards) with nothing else done to it. The camo synthetic stock is NOT free floated but has a pressure point near the end. It works just fine this way.

I'm not saying it couldn't shoot even tighter groups by putting in a Timney (or Jewel etc) trigger, free floating the barrel etc etc but for a hunting rifle it's more then good enough.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Mine was pretty cheap to get accurate...a GA gun collector directed me to start shooting those 35.00 a box Winchester Silver Tips...extremely tight groups. I also use a 4200 Bushnell Elite Scope...clear as a bell.

This is the Remington 700 270
Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Spike

Bed it first. Never worry about anything else until it's bedded.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Can't identify with this problem. I have had a Remington 700 BDL-LH in .270 since about 1976. It shot well when I got it (about 1.5 in at 100 yd), a few years later, I just decided to get it glass-bedded, lightened the trigger to 2 lb, and added a Pachmayr recoil pad (just for my comfort). Since then, it shoots almost every load I feed it in 1 in or less at 100 yd. I just have to adjust my point of impact up or down depending on the load I am feeding it. I hand load almost all my ammo and weigh every charge.

Last edited by DocHunter; 08-31-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
I surprised that nobody has blamed the person pulling the trigger, I've handed my benchrifle to my buddy and watched him print a 4" group with a gun that shoot's .100" 5 shot groups.

I've watched guys sight rifles in with nothing but a bi-pod and you could watch the gun jiggle like they were in a earthquake.

Guys sight their rifle offhand....p.s I asked the guy if he was burning up old ammo and gave me the answer of " No, i'm sighting the phucking thing in" and "I don't hunt with a rest, so why would i sight in with one" Then he wondered why it took him a box of shell's to get close, And no he didn't get it sighted in, he just run out of ammo.

People using human silhouette targets to sight in deer rifles.

Guys putting their finger(s) on the barrel.

Man, i could be here all night with this, Point being we would criticize a guy for not practing with a bow but why do rifle shooters not get the same criticism?
We must have ran into the same people!!!!! I am a Firearms Instructor and Sniper for my agency and have been involved with weapons in various agencies and departments I have worked for over 20yrs and it never fails to amaze me at the antics I see and hear of how people conceive on how to properly sight in a weapon. And to think that I work with some of these brainyacks!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.