Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Rifling a 20ga Smooth Bore for CVA Optima Elite >

Rifling a 20ga Smooth Bore for CVA Optima Elite

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Rifling a 20ga Smooth Bore for CVA Optima Elite

Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rifling a 20ga Smooth Bore for CVA Optima Elite

I wouldn't mind getting a 20ga shotgun barrel for my Optima Elite for slugs but would really prefer a rifled barrel. Bergara only makes smooth bore shotgun barrels for them. Would it be possible to get it rifled and does anyone know a shop that could do that kind of work. I believe the barrel contour is large enough to be strong enough to shoot slugs but need to make sure.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

rifled barrels are at major diameter at the grooves, and under at the lands. smooth bores obviously only have one diameter through most of the bore unless its one of the modern "back bored" barrels. this means that if you run a button die down the bore of a 20 gauge you are opening up the grooves beyond 20 gauge and thus loosing your gas seal. rifling barrels isnt cheap either. of the few gunsmiths that do it right, expect anywhere from $150 to $300. just pick yourself up a properly rifled, heavier contoured slug barrel and save yourself the headache.