HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Gunsmithing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-115/)
-   -   Bending a Barrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing/320344-bending-barrel.html)

Moebedda 03-25-2010 10:21 AM

Bending a Barrel

I have a .62 cal. smoothbore flint lock. I want to change the POI. Right now I see to much of the front sight. The gun has no rear sight. I actually have to look through the base of the front sight, which blocks out the target, to get her to shoot where i want. Basically i have to aim high enough that the sight blocks out what i am trying to hit.

I hear a guy can bend the barrel to change the point of impact.

How does one do this? Which way would I have to bend it?

Big Z 03-25-2010 11:19 AM

My first approaches would be raising the comb, filing down the front sight, and/or installing a rear sight..

bigbulls 03-25-2010 05:40 PM

I have bent a bunch of shotgun barrels to change POI but never a barrel as thick as what you would have.

jrbsr 03-26-2010 03:11 AM

Take it to a GunSmith, and ask him/her.
JMHO

emptyquiver2 03-30-2010 08:42 AM

I would imagine that you have tried different patch thicknesses and ball diameters, to see if that changes the point of impact. A first step would be to start filing the front sight down. If you have had an oportunity to handle a few originals, you would notice that the front sight is set rather low to the barrel, often it is nothing more then a nub. In the event that the removal is not enough, then you can consider either a rear sight or a bend as you say on the tube. I experienced a problem simular to yours on one of my Tulle's and added a rear sight. Although it would eliminate me from most smoothbore competition, it works out very well when used in the woods. I hate to refer to adjusting a barrel as bending and prefer to call it flexing. This is a drastic measure and generally should be avoided if at all possible, so I will not touch on this process. As mentioned earlier, the gun may simply not fit you as there may not be enough drop in the comb to suit you. If the stock was pre-carved and had come out of a jig then the drop is the same on them all. The only way to avoid this is to have a gun made to fit you.

Pawildman 04-11-2010 01:01 PM

...........Let my wife have it for a week....It'll probably come back bent.......

jrbsr 04-24-2010 04:30 AM

Just look down the barrel, like a shotgun.
To the left, or right of the front sight.

JMHO

Gunplummer 05-16-2010 01:32 AM

I straighten rifle barrels on a car press. You have to look down the inside of the barrel and determine which way you want to go. It takes a good eye. There is a lot of spring in a barrel, so you must "overbend" it until it stays where you want it.

bigbulls 05-16-2010 08:49 PM

Once you bend a rifle barrel like that how do you determine if the barrel is consistent through out the bore? I don't know of any one that has an eye to see if a barrel is straight down to the thousandths of an inch.

Gunplummer 05-29-2010 02:16 AM

I don't know anyone who can drill a barrel straight to within .001 of an inch. As long as it is not an obvious step in the bore and only a mild curve, it can be straightened. Actually, unless the bend is up near the muzzle, it usually does not even matter.