Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
stock questions... >

stock questions...

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

stock questions...

Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default stock questions...

well I think I have decided on a laminate tactical thumbhole with a 2.5 or 3 inch forend from richards microfit for the m700 I talked about in the other posts...

Not set on that stock or that company...I like the design..it should be comfortable and steady on bags or bipod...and richards got a good reputation...so that's where I sit as of now...but open to design or maker suggestions....also, like the thumbhole as I broke my wrist and sitting behind a regular stock can be painful for me...

Now...they can oversize inlet for bedding 1/16th of an inch larger...since I will be having it bedded, good idea? Bad? Call my smith that's doing the work??

Also...the gun is a m700 sps varmint...has a dropping floorplate...keep it? Make it a single shot?? Or is that my preference and has no effects other than looks and function?? Accuracy is my biggest theme for this rifle...I can live with a single shot no problem..just was wondering as a lot of target rifles I see were made single shot...likely because 1 round is all they shoot at a time..but wanted to make sure I ts not a bad thing to keep the floor plate and internal magazine...

Thanx guys...choose a color and review this post and I will be ordering...
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Last year I bought a Richard's 96% inletted laminated stock for a Sako AIII. It was a very nice stock, but far from 96% inletted. It wasn't a problem as it is much easier to remove wood then to try and add it on. I pillar bedded and glass bedded my action, but check with your 'smith as to how he would like the stock as he will be charging for any extra work.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the JAE stocks for the Remington 700.