Gunsmithing Projects & Techniques Reference material for step by step projects and gunsmithing techniques

Savage stock fix

Old 07-02-2022, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Savage stock fix

You may have read my previous threads on the issue I had with my Savage discharging when I lowered the bolt. After finding what the issue was and finding out that the part needed was no longer available I did my own repair. I had purchased the rifle used and later found that the stock had a round recess in it and a notch in the barrel (see pic). I found that the recess was meant to hold a cylindrical part which had a protrusion that fit into the barrel notch sort of as a recoil lug.
Well being that it was only a 22 LR and the minimal recoil wouldn't be an issue I decided to do my own repair. This was a 3 step process. First I needed to build up the area behind the recess about 3/32" thick which I found was the thickness needed to avoid the accidental discharge when closing the bolt. Second step was to fill the recess in. I used a combination of appropriate size washers and epoxy. (I used Devcon Plastic Steel for all steps). And the third and final step was to mix a small portion of epoxy and place a bead in the stock at the location were the barrel notch would rest.
I now have a perfectly fitting "recoil lug" and have zero front to back movement of the action.
Attached Thumbnails Savage stock fix-barrel-notch.jpg   Savage stock fix-stock-fix.jpg