Community
Gunsmithing Projects & Techniques Reference material for step by step projects and gunsmithing techniques

Rebarreling

Old 09-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Spike

Default Rebarreling

Has anyone ever installed a new barrel on a mosin Nagant?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, and it was a waste of money.

But do you have a particular question, otherwise this should probably get moved to the General Gunsmithing forum, not the projects sub-forum.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not really a waste of money if a person is determined to have a very accurate rifle, but is limited to a Mosin Nagant action for some reason.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right - "if limited to a myosin action for some reason..." I don't think I'd play in any game where I would ever find myself limited to a mosin action... Can't think of any reason a guy would get stuck with one?
Old 10-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, actually I recently won a bet by hitting a 12" gong at 500 yards from a "sporterized" Mosin Nagant I only paid $70 for at a pawn shop. The previous owner had put a aftermarket barrel on it, did a very good job of fitting & crown too. He had put a set of Rem 700 sites on it & put a turned down LONG bolt handle on. All I had to do was D&R the receiver, put a inexpensive scope on it (old Weaver K-4 steel tube with microtrac I'd had lying around for years), a buddy sent me a new aftermarket stock for it & I bedded it, and put a Timney trigger in it. I even used cheap Prvi Partizan 150 gr soft points in it. The bet was to take a old milsurp, and total investment of less than $500 to consistently nail a 12" gong at 500 yards. I won that easily.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
Well, actually I recently won a bet by hitting a 12" gong at 500 yards from a "sporterized" Mosin Nagant I only paid $70 for at a pawn shop. The previous owner had put a aftermarket barrel on it, did a very good job of fitting & crown too. He had put a set of Rem 700 sites on it & put a turned down LONG bolt handle on. All I had to do was D&R the receiver, put a inexpensive scope on it (old Weaver K-4 steel tube with microtrac I'd had lying around for years), a buddy sent me a new aftermarket stock for it & I bedded it, and put a Timney trigger in it. I even used cheap Prvi Partizan 150 gr soft points in it. The bet was to take a old milsurp, and total investment of less than $500 to consistently nail a 12" gong at 500 yards. I won that easily.
and if a non-gunsmith owner who had to pay todays prices for the work would have it done, could they buy another, better rifle cheaper?
RR
Old 10-26-2017, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh of course! In fact, a gunsmith with not even counting his labor, cannot even sporterize a Mauser or Mosin these days for the cost of a Ruger American or Savage Axis! I was not trying to say it's automatically better or cheaper than buying a modern new budget bolt rifle, but possible within the price range of selection. These days, it just don't pay anymore to sporterize a milsurp rifle. This started changing on a HUGE scale about 10-15 years ago, or a bit less. The budget rifles being offered today are simply incredible, especially for the price vs performance!