Community
Gunsmithing Projects & Techniques Reference material for step by step projects and gunsmithing techniques

Stevens 12 ga restoration

Old 04-10-2014, 02:29 AM
Typical Buck

Here a few pics from the Belgian bluing process.

Everything at the ready.

Rust scum floating on top.

After the fifth dip and application.

The hot barrel evaporates the water and blue quickly showing the rusting

Then the plugs are removed and sure enough no water crept into the barrel since the plugs are dry.

A new and longer plug is put in one end of the barrel has a handle so I can apply copious amounts of Strike hold, water displacing oil/rust inhibitor to the barrel.

The oiled barrel.

Here is an outside video of the newly blued and oiled barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm4mIyyoKhY

All that’s left to do is give it 24 hours in the strike hold, make a new stainless steel front bead and put the gun back together with the old stock (since that’s all I have at this point)

To be continued…….
Old 04-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Typical Buck

Ive gone as far as I can go with this gun until a stock is sourced (or made). Thanks for all the input in tracking down the make of the shotgun. It appears this is a Stevens Number 100 based on the hammer and finding an exact match on Numrich’s web site. Here’s where it stands right now.

I made a stainless front bead to replace the missing bead.

Here are some pictures of the resurrected gun with the old (broken) stock back on the gun for the time being.