Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Whats the best paint for a riflestock camo job?? >

Whats the best paint for a riflestock camo job??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats the best paint for a riflestock camo job??

Old 05-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats the best paint for a riflestock camo job??

Im thinking about painting the black synthetic stock on my blued savage 93R17, Blue and black together seems bland and id like to spruce it up a bit. Just curious what is the best paint to use on a synthetic stock? also do you want to use a primer first before painting??
Old 05-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats the best paint for a riflestock camo job??

you want the best use Sherwin Williams Pulana...same stuff Nasa uses on the Space shuttle nose cone. I know of one stock painter that will do the gun with thatt .
Old 05-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

As it is right now I have a model 70 with a black synthetic stock. It's the Winchest factory stock, nothing special. Well, I hate the looks of the rifle and basically want to change the appearance. I found one site link where a guy used Krylon stone texture paint and the stocks he did look pretty good. So I basically followed his directions and here's what took place:

I basically just rough sanded the entire stock with 120 grit paper and apply Krylon primer. Then I added multiple coats of Rustoleum Stone paint. Then a final 6 light coats of Krylon clear matte. If I were to do this again I might jsut shoose a paint color and make the stock smooth as this stone paint takes FOREVER to dry. It's just really thick and as would be expected should take some additional time to dry, but the can said 4 hours and I waited at least 8 between coats and it was still a touch tacky. I let it dry hard for 3 days before applying the clear coat just last afternoon. All in all I think it looks pretty good and it's definetly got some texture to it. I'm happy with it so far, but I should have opened up the barrel channel more as it's not quite floating anymore. If this stock doesn't keep the rifle shooting like it was(average 5/8 MOA) then it's a new stock from Boyds!

On to the pics!

Old 05-09-2005, 06:53 AM

i have three black plastic stocked guns,a wby 300mag,rem870 exp super mag and a rem 597.17hmr.all are camoed using the wal-mart spray paint in the four camo colors[olive drab,brown,black and khaki] i lightly sanded the plastic,steel wooled the metal parts and sprayed the entire gun with the olive drab,then took small leaves and layed them on different places on the stock and barrel and sprayed around the leaf with the other colors.they look good.the turkey gun has more spring colors and the others have fall colors.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:11 AM

I use the Krylon I get at Wal Mart to paint mine. Works great.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:49 PM

HighDesertWolf,
Consider having the stock done by Duracoat in Columbus, Ga. the website is www.duracoatinc.com. they can dip your stock and it will be any camo pattern you want. I think it's a great process. check in to them before you paint.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.realtree.com/img/531/medi...de_norenco.jpg

KRYLON paint
Old 05-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a pic of two muzzleloaders we did.

http://www.realtree.com/img/500/medi..._paint_job.jpg
Old 05-09-2005, 01:41 PM

check this sight out in houston. http://www.activecamo.com/ they do great work. i am going to get my glock done and my Handi-Rifle .308
Old 05-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jason N, i can somewhat see the texture in the picture looks really nice deffinately better then a plain black stock.

Pitsburghunter, those stocks are awesome almost what i had in mind for a camo job for mine. Wow Krylon LOL Any particular Krylon formula??

I considered sending the stock out to be done but everyone wants 100 bucks or more. I think with my creative artistic talent I could do a pretty nice camo job myself just need to know what the best paint is to use.

Quick Reply: Whats the best paint for a riflestock camo job??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.