Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What deer gun caliber? >

What deer gun caliber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What deer gun caliber?

Old 04-24-2005, 12:05 PM

Default What deer gun caliber?

im about to turn 18 and im going to buy my first deer gun. Im not sure what type of caliber to get though, i think im going to get a savage 111F. it comes in 270 Win., 30-06 Spfld., 7MM REG MAG, 300 WIN MAG. The only thing i can hunt in oklahoma as far as big game is about it whitetail. I was thinking maybe the 270. Is this a good rifle and caliber choice? thanks for any imput you can give me.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What deer gun caliber?

The Savage should give you years of accurate and reliable service. And for nothing larger than whitetail, its hard to beat the good old, plain Jane .270 Winchester. It has been around for 80 years, and is showing no sign of disappearing any time soon, which I can't say for any of the new WSM's and such. I presume you don't reload, so the .270 would fill the bill the best, and is available LITERALLY in every turn in the road shop that sells ammo. GO FOR IT!!
Old 04-24-2005, 12:33 PM

Amen, Charlie. Also has the lightest recoil of the group.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 270 would be a very good choice. There is no better deer rifle. It has ample power and shoots plenty flat and plenty far for any game in the lower 48. The 130 grain load is all you will need if it shoots good in your gun. The Savage is also an excellent choice. You are off to a good start. OH to be your age again.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:40 PM

Would have to agree the .270 is a good gun al round close range and for distant shots. The recoil is a fairly light. I would prolly choose a winchester over savege because in my past savage purchases i have noticed the warping of the stock on the foregrip that causes pressure on the barrel. The model 70 is a nice gun and about the same price and the savage.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:55 PM

I can't think of a better first rifle for deer than a Savage in 270 Win. Great choice on both rifle and caliber.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:56 PM

thanks for the input but whats better the savage or the model 70? how far can i shoot with a 270?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:04 PM

I'll say it like this,
the Winchester is a better rifle to look at. Where I live it's also a little more expensive. For out of the box accuracy and the finest standard trigger out there, you won't beat the Savage. Not no way, Not no how.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: skins38

im about to turn 18 and im going to buy my first deer gun. Im not sure what type of caliber to get though, i think im going to get a savage 111F. it comes in 270 Win., 30-06 Spfld., 7MM REG MAG, 300 WIN MAG. The only thing i can hunt in oklahoma as far as big game is about it whitetail. I was thinking maybe the 270. Is this a good rifle and caliber choice? thanks for any imput you can give me.

7mm/08, 7X57mm, 6.5X55mm, or .270 Win. All equally good for DEER. You don't need a magnum for deer hunting - and even the great old '06 is more than necessary too.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

How far you can shoot with a 270 depends on how much you practice. The 270 will cleanly kill out to 400 yards no problem. However you have to hit it first. NOT EASY. You need to have room to shoot those ranges and become familar with wind drift and bullet drop. I make 300 my max range for shooting at game animals. Little things can mean a lot when the ranges gets much past that.

Quick Reply: What deer gun caliber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.