Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Round nose in lever 45-70's >

Round nose in lever 45-70's

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Round nose in lever 45-70's

Old 05-04-2005, 06:16 PM
bigcountry

Default Round nose in lever 45-70's

First off, I am new to tubular mags. A few months ago if it didn't have a bolt, I didn't want anything to do with it. Has anyone you know every had a mishap with sharp round nose bullets in a tubular mag. You know, somebody has hotrodded a 45-70, and it kicks like a mule, and touched off a round, and the nose hit the primer of the shell in front of it?

Just curious.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Round nose in lever 45-70's

I have not had a problem with round nose bullets but the only RN I have used in the 45-70 is the 350 grain Hornady RN. I quess they make it in a flat nose as well. I shot a 32 Special and 30-30 without any problems as well. You have a good point though, the 45-70 generates enough recoil for this to be a concern. I now shoot mostly single shots so no problem there.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

It has happened so much that nobody gives load data for anything but a flat point for tube mags. (Of course it hasn't happened now a days because you can't buy 30,30 ballistic tip ammo)

If you really want to shoot pointed bullets or round nose bullets out of the gun feed them one at a time or load your first round straight into the chamber and load up the mag with flat or hollow point bullets.

See my "first for me" in the reload section if you don't think the recoil has that much power to set of a round. Mind you it was just a .44mag!!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have a video that we used for hunter's safety courses of a .30-30 Winchester using spitzer bullets....Bad deal, the mag tube looked like you'd packed it full of gun powder and touched it off (not that far from what really happens actually). In the tape I had, the discharge was so violent that the barrel of the rifle was blown in half as well, the receiver was ruptured (not that the belly of a win 94 is very solid anyway), and the shooters arm was severely burned and lacerated.

Pitts, I'm not certain what gave you the idea that no one gives load data for spitzer bullets for "tube mags", but you're a little misguided...Most reloading manuals do indeed have reloading data for pointed bullets, which are easily used in tubular magazine rifles simply by loading only two rounds (one in battery and one in magazine) at a time. There are actually quite a few spitzer type bullet loadings available for these cartridges in factory loadings.

Now, as far as .45-70 spitzers go, no, there aren't many, but that's more a function of the bullet diameter rather than the magazine of the rifle...there just aren't a lot of 45cal spitzer bullets.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:21 PM
bigcountry

Well, I am not talking about round nose. Like a hornady RN. Does anyone think its a possibility. Read it in my Marlin manual.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, you won't have a problem with round nosed bullets. I've ran round nosed bullets in my .44mags, .45-70's, and an old Browning .45-90 for years, I've never had a problem, I've even checked the primers of rounds in the magazine after firing some of my HOT hunting loads, I've only ONCE ever seen a dented primer--a smooth, shallow bowl across the whole primer
Old 05-04-2005, 09:00 PM

The 350 Hornady is OK - that bullet is loaded as a factory round for the .450 Marlin. Anything more pointed is a no go.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about it.

There are probably millions of round nosed bullets shot through 30-30s every year without a problem as loaded from the factory. The 30-30 rn bullets are going to be even a bit 'pointier' than the 45/70 and when you realize how far a primer needs to be mashed alongt with how small the diameter of the primer is, I don't see how a big bullet in a 45/70 could set off the cartridge in front of it.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:47 AM
bigcountry

Well guys I am not worrying about it. I never plan on shooting the hornady or any hornady for that matter. Just starting some discussion. Get away from the dreaded, "which gun should I buy or will a 7mm whatever kill faster than a 30-06" Actually spread some knowledge and have good discussion.

I myself think yea its something to consider especially when loading 45-70's 350's in the 2200fps range. Something to keep you awake at night, nah. One thing I have learned is just cause you haven't had the problem yet, don't mean you should actually wait until you do. Then you feel stupid when it does.

Pittsburg has a good point.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Briman

I don't see how a big bullet in a 45/70 could set off the cartridge in front of it.
Try it if you want, it's your arm. I'll stick to the standard round and flatpoints. They've been working pretty well for the past 130 some odd years.

Quick Reply: Round nose in lever 45-70's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.