Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Barrel lengths >

Barrel lengths

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel lengths

Old 04-30-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Barrel lengths

I have just bought a Weatherby rifle chambered in 338 Win Mag with a 24 inch barrel. I am having a KDF recoil arrestor installed. Will it hurt to have the barrel cut down to keep the length at 24 inches? Please help
Old 04-30-2005, 09:06 PM

Default RE: Barrel lengths

Reduction in muzzle velocity will in the neighborhood of 50 fps per inch. Probably not a huge issue, IMO. Roskoe.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:37 PM

Thanks, What would your recommendation be?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

As barrel length is reduced velocity is also reduced but muzzle blast will increase.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:51 AM

True . . . and that KDF is going to really increase it. But, overall, when you look at the "overbore" factor, the .338 Winchester is not going to need as long of a barrel as, say, a 7 Rem Mag or .264 Winchester - even though it is burning a fairly large quantity of powder. I think that if the gun was to be used primarily in wooded areas where the shots would normally be inside of 250 yards, the shorter barrel might be a good trade-off. Roskoe.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

True . . . and that KDF is going to really increase it.
To the point where even a single shot without hearing protection could easily cause significant hearing loss.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:35 PM

how much length is it going to put on the barrel?
Old 05-01-2005, 02:52 PM

I don't have a KDF right here to measure, but I think they add about 1.5 inches. The Vias is the one I recommend to customers (those that I can't talk out of the idea). They are louder than a rifle without a brake, but not as loud as a KDF. Stubblejumper is 100% right - one shot without ear protection will cause irreversable hearing loss. I would recommend trying one of the new rifle rests, like the Caldwell Lead Sled or Benchmaster, instead. They cost about the same as having a muzzle brake installed - can shoot off the bench with comfort - and you will never feel the recoil under actual hunting conditions anyway.

Or else get your gunsmith to make up a knurled thread protecter to put on for field use.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Or else get your gunsmith to make up a knurled thread protecter to put on for field use.
You must also remember that the point of impact can be different with a muzzlebrake installed so you must still sight the rifle in without the brake if you intend to hunt without the brake.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:26 PM

One of the keys here is that one shot either with OR without a brake will cause hearing damage. Much the same as firing a 22 without hearing protection. So the argument is moot to me in a big way.

And on the thread protector-- not only can it change the impact from sighting in, it can severely change the barrel harmonics. What may shoot great with the brake on may suck with it off. The only way I see it is either one way or the other. I don't think you can have it both ways. You either have and use the brake for load work, zeroing and hunting OR you deal without.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Barrel lengths

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.