Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Big Bore Debate >

Big Bore Debate

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Big Bore Debate

Old 04-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Bore Debate

Rebel Hog,

I have a .35 Remington as well, and everybody always grabs one of my guns when they go out instead of their own. Unforunately I can't shoot right now because I have a broken right arm so everybody fights over who gets my guns now. I told them as soon as my arm heals I'm taking my guns back!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The info I am getting here is making me feel better about the .45-70. I like to shoot my guns and the info that Colorado provided was good. Knowing that there is some plinking ammo out there is a good thing. I checked the price on .45-70 ammo and it was between $21 and $23 per box. The most expensive ammo I have ever purchased was about $13 per box. So it is a bit of a jump.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming.

Also where is OldElk. I half expected him to come in here and tell us something about the bigbores to get the folks around here a bit frisky. lol.

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 09:04 AM
bigcountry

Also where is OldElk.
Think he got tired of the same scene and taking a vacation from the internet.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

The 45-70 all the way. They are all good calbers however. I have a small herd of 45-70's.

Mossy33. I know what you mean. I can't imagine dragging the same old rifle out two days in a row for deer season. I Mean they need a rest too. And besides I can't let the wife see dust on a rifle, she might think that I don't need it. I thought I was bad when I harvested eight mule deer last fall and only used three different rifles. I have never shot one with a slug gun though. I have carried them for back-up in bear country but never hunted deer with one.

BC What did you get for a 45-70? I have had the Ruger, Marlin, Sharps and NEF's.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:14 AM
bigcountry

I hope I got a good deal. Its a 1895SS (not stainless) 20" barrel Marlin. He said it was made in 91, and looked to be in wonderful condition. I paid 300 for it.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:44 AM

Hi bigcountry,

That's a nice looking .45-70. I just picked up a new G2 Contender chambered for .45-70. I found it at the local Gander Mountain for $340. Can't wait to get it scoped and take it to the range.

Dave
Old 04-25-2005, 11:56 AM

BC,
Nice. Looks like you got some great lumber too. I bought on like that back in 91 or 92, seems like I paid about 500.00 for it. I think you got a good deal.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:59 AM
bigcountry

Well see if I got a good deal on it. I did all the checks I could looking at the bore, and pushing a cleaning Rod/patch down. Felt smooth. After the transaction, I asked why he was selling so cheap and he said, when he wants to sell something, he prices it to sell. I hope so.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

BC Nice looking rifle. Can't beat the Marlin. Good Price as well.
AK, Have not heard from you for quite a while. Must be keeping busy.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:49 PM
bigcountry

James data is all over the place on this gun. Whats a good hotrod load for 300-350gr jacket load? Thinking H4198. What about a nice 405gr combo? Ever shoot Laser Cast? Do they need a gascheck?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Big Bore Debate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.