Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm mag which one >

7mm mag which one

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm mag which one

Old 04-20-2005, 09:00 PM

Default RE: 7mm mag which one

I've got an older Sako mannlicher in 7mm mag - great shooting gun. It really likes 175 gr. bullets.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first choice would be a Sako with the second being a model 700 Remington.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Even though you may have to have some trigger work done, I would go with the Ruger. I had a couple Ruger 7 Mags and they were both excellent shooters. Myself I would go with the 280 Caliber but if you want the Magnum then The 7MM Remington Mag would be my choice.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:48 AM

When you get to the 7mms and the 06 class of rifles, recoil can become an issue with some shooters. If it we me, I'd look around and find the rifle that fit you the best. You are only buying 1 rifle. Remington and Savage don't fit me well and I find the felt recoil with those to be more noticable than other brands.

I'd look at (in this order):

Sako
CZ
Ruger
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 AM

For a 7mm magnum, my pick would be the 7mm Remington Mag., and my first choice for
a rifle would be the Ruger77 bolt action. As noted, it may need a little trigger work, but
the Ruger is a good reliable gun, and priced very reasonably.
The Savage would also be good, and maybe a bit less expensive, just not as nice as the
Ruger IMO. They sure have a reputation for accuracy though.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

another vote for the model 700. i have one in stainless and it takes a beating.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of today's rifle are quality made.I prefer the Ruger M-77's.I would suggest handling as many as you can and see which ones fits you.For a budget rifle the Savage fits the ticket.Tikka's are a fine rifle which cost more then the Savage's.If you watch gunsamerica you can find NIB M-77's for under 500.00.The Ruger's do need to have their triggers reworked as a rule.They can be lighten nicely and made into a decent trigger.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a Winchester Model 70. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use the 7mm rem mag and very pleased with its performance having taken antelope, deer, moose, elk and few lesser animals I won't mention..lol.

As mentioned recoil can be a problem but seeing I have shoulder problems I find it very tolerable...however that is all based on fit. I will not suggest a manufacturer but simply say get your hands on as many as possible, go for personal fit and features you like. When doing this consider weight and recoil pad installed. Lighter the more you'll feel it! A good recoil pad can make a big difference in felt recoil so it is always an option. Some rifles now come with Sims R3, etc from the factory but you can put on an aftermarket if you find you need more. The triggers can be adjusted some cheaper than others but not a huge concern, as it should be done by a gunsmith in most cases any way. Well other than a savage with Accutrigger, which can be done by yourself.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:20 PM

I have the Weatherby MK V and love it! It is my favorite gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.