Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sniper rifle for hunting? >

sniper rifle for hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sniper rifle for hunting?

Old 04-20-2005, 05:57 PM

Default RE: sniper rifle for hunting?

Hey Grizzlyman. Both the Army and Marines were better prepared to deploy snipers at the beginning of our current conflicts then they were back is early Vietnam, thanks to those re-established programs. Much better prepared.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Ruddyduck

You guys really miss the point. Sniper Rifle is the next term to be used by those that want you firearms like Assault Rifle was.
I hunt with darn good rifles. My Rem 700 DBM in 7 Rem Mag and my VS in 22.250 are terrific shooters and put factory fodder into the same hole (1/8" - 3/16" groups regularly) when I do my bit. Are they "sniper " rifles no ,but what does that really mean. To the gun grabbers it's any scoped high power rifles. I'd like to kick the powers that be in the gun industry in the family jewels and slap someone when they use terms like that to decribe thier products.
It's not just the gun industry, but many groups. Remember the DC sniper(s)? It was a disgrace that these clowns had such a name attached to them by the media. But that is how the public thinks of snipers and sniper rifles. That is, that any gun loving American can slap a scope on a AR15 and become some ultimate, deadly sniper. No wonder the public will listen to attempts to ban "sniper" weapons.

And you are certainly correct the BS that some are using to define a "sniper rifle" is as silly as the assault weapon faisco. If it has a scope and a target or fluted barrel then it's too deadly for the general public! BS!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Remington PSS (police sniper system) .308 win. Precision HS stock, parkerized bull barrel and I only run match grade or custom ammo through it and I've killed more deer with it than any other rifle I own. Distance really isn't an issue once you do the math. It's a lot like driving a luxury SUV, you point it where you want it to go and it does the rest.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:29 PM

Replying to a few things here since I just read it all.

Actually one post had the answer to the sniper question and its ignored. It is Mawhinney and not Hathcock.

I am glad I met Carlos and have shot with his son on a number of occassions. Fine people.

Sharpshooter at 1000 yards doesn't take much skill to qualify to. You are given the Marksman badge after a prerequisite number of shots. Sharpshooter is only the next step up. Thankfully qual skills have risen lately.

As to the term sniper rifle. I hate it personally. I have a few accurate rifles. Some are heavy, some not. But the way the term is used is any scoped rifle and so we should all beware!!

For those that feel uneasy when folks show up with heavy barreled 308s, why? It says nothing at all. Might be an idiot, might be a decent shot. Might be a tackdriver. Then there are those that can do it on the range but not in the woods. As to most police snipers-- there shots are 200 yards or less. Many much less than that. It doesn't take skill to do that. In fact our local PD used to qual on my personal range. Requirement to carry a rifle in the car? Standing, 5 hits at 25 yards and 5 at 50 yards on a regular silhouette. Who can't do that?( I have a clue but won't clarify it)

Too much made of this whole thing really.

And for those that say long shots are unethical and to stay within your proven range, some folks proven range is a whole lot further than others is. I think its a good way to say it. But leave the unethical part out. Just simply shoot only as far as you are 110 percent sure of first shot, first kill.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: rost495

Actually one post had the answer to the sniper question and its ignored. It is Mawhinney and not Hathcock.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:41 PM

Oldgrunt,
I did read it off his son's website. I stand corrected about Chuck Mawhinney. His confirmed kills are indeed more than Gunny Hathcocks. His total was 103 confirmed and many more unconfirmed. However, since he wanted no public accolades, most people never heard of him. I try never to post anything I haven't researched first. please advise me of which part of my post was incorrect. I'd really like to know if I was wrong.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:44 PM

Gunny died in 1999.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:46 PM

I read the date wrong. Thanks oldgrunt. Semper Fi!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SWAMPMAN
I stand corrected about Chuck Mawhinney. His confirmed kills are indeed more than Gunny Hathcocks. His total was 103 confirmed and many more unconfirmed. However, since he wanted no public accolades, most people never heard of him.
Chuck is a quiet and reserved man, but not beyond accepting some attention. He's been scene on TV and, AFAIK, has made his way to a few sniper community events. I've never met him, but he sure appears to fit the "quiet professional" mold.

Don't get me wrong SWAMPMAN - Gunny Hathcock is still THE man in my book. What set Hatchcock apart was his fieldcraft, some dramatic engagements, and a lifelong commitment to improving the sniping profession (and in particular the USMC sniping community).
Old 04-20-2005, 07:59 PM

Oldgrunt,
i have the utmost respect for both. I'm ashamed I didn't know about Chuck Mawhinney because I try never to shoot off my mouth without having a firm basis for it. I'm wrong this time. I thank you for pointing it out. I agree That Gunny Hathcock was and is "the man", I can say that becuase his son is now Gunny Hathcock. Semper FI.

Quick Reply: sniper rifle for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.