Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which is more accurate?? >

Which is more accurate??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which is more accurate??

Old 04-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which is more accurate??

I just got back from Riflery class here at Bloomsburg University and while i was there my professor told the class that bolt action rifles were the most accurate and dependable. I questioned him about this because i've always thought that single shots, such as an Encore, were the most accurate. What do u think?

Zach
Old 04-11-2005, 03:17 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Which is more accurate??

He may be right. The problem I see with the encore, its it stretches the chamber while firing. This may be to the pin holding the barrel to the frame. May due to the locking mechanism hold the barrel to the frame. Also things to consider with an encore if the pressure on back of the cartridge. Where a bolt if machined well should have equal pressure back of the cartrige and with the bolt it should have a more consistent cartidge placement in the chamber. Lastly a bolt, its easy to have consistent barrel tension by freefloating the barrel but an encore you always would have some variation.

Overall, with both with quality made parts, I couldn't tell the difference.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:17 PM

I vote for bolt actions.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:44 PM

Bolt actions aren't always more accurate it is just their are several things one can do to immprove accuracy such as glass bedding, free floating the barrel among other things. These options are not always available in other action types.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I vote for bolt actions as well. A break action typically isn't as accurate because of the "two piece" receiver. The bbl and receiver are necessarily solidly joined, and with time, as bigcountry mentioned, this fit can become worse and worse. Also, it was problematic at the conception of the encores (moreso with the contender I believe) that the two piece stock didn't lend itself to accuracy and required a great deal of fitting and bedding to relieve the stresses exerted on the bore.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:54 PM

it's the barrel not the action that makes the gun accurate.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:02 PM
DM

it's the barrel not the action that makes the gun accurate.
NOT exactly!!! The stiffer the action, the more accurate the gun! Also the bedding plays a big part in it too! (among other things)

Drilling Man
Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had some very accurate guns of all action types. However as a rule the bolt actions seem to have an edge. I have some pretty accurate NEF single shots as well though.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:21 PM

I have an 06 Rugar with a 2-6 leopold scope. Which is the best amo and best way to sight in.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:23 PM

you are right the action is a factor but it is a small factor vs the barrel. i have seen semi's that shot good and bolts that shot good. but the common factor was a good barrel. an old gun maker once told me that a good barrel is usually 1 in 500.

Quick Reply: Which is more accurate??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.