Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger is underrated!!! >

Ruger is underrated!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger is underrated!!!

Old 04-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ruger is underrated!!!

Everyone talks about Remington, Browning and Winchester rifles, but I personally like the Rugers better and have had very good experience with them.

I own 4 Ruger rifles a M77 MKII in 300 WSM, M77 MKII in .223 Rem, 77/22 in .22 LR, and a #1 in 7x57 Mauser. All of these rifles are very accurate. The 300 WSM will shoot a .5" group at 100 yards with 150gr corloks and a .6" group with 180gr XLCs. The .223 will shoot 1" groups with two holes touching and the third 1" away with 40gr VLCs, BSTs, and V-max bullets. The 7x57 Mauser will shoot a .7" group at 100 yards with 154gr SSTs and a 1" group with 150gr BSTs. My 77/22 will put 10 shots through one hole the size of a nickel at 30 yards with all types of ammo except stingers and it will put 5 shots in a .5" group at 50 yards with CCI Velocitors.

My brothers M77 MKII .223 will shoot a .5" group at 100 yards also. My friends M77Mk II .260 Rem will put 3 shots under a nickel at 100 yards also.

Ruger also has excellent customer service, the forend on my #1 cracked. A few years later I sent it back to them they matched and fitted a new forend, put a new front and rear sight on it (I took them off for the scope) and they put a new falling block in. They didn't charge me a dime. I only paid for the shipping to them and they had it back to me very fast.

The only problem I have with them is their triggers I have put the trigger scale on a few with poundage’s ranging from 4lbs to 7lbs. This is however very easy to fix, I printed the directions off of the internet and did the trigger job myself. I took my friends down from 7 lbs to 3 lbs. Or for about $75 you can put an adjustable trigger in.

With Ruger being very accurate and cheaper than Remington, Browning and Winchester and including the rings and bases I will continue to purchase Ruger firearms.

What is everyone else’s experience with Ruger?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger is underrated!!!

I have a M77 MKII All Weather in 30-06 that I really enjoy. The trigger did need some work but like you said working on the trigger is not that difficult. I would not hesitate to buy another Ruger.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

What is everyone else’s experience with Ruger?
ON any 77 I have owned ..tang safety thru the MK II i have had zip problems with them in any aspect absolutely none. I would have to say that the weakest part of their design is their trigger..if you can get it adjusted(stopgap) or completely replaced(better way) that is all you'll have to do to one. Oh and lap the scope rings
Old 04-06-2005, 08:00 AM

I also have an all-weather M77 MkII in .30-06 and it's been an excellent weapon.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

The 77 is a very decent rifle. Not the most accurate, right of the box, I have shot, but accurate enough. Never had any kind of malfunction that I can think of, or any kind of brakeage. Triggers set at factory are terrible, but can be corrected by a decent gunsmith or by replacing the factory trigger.
The #1, generally takes a lot work to get it to shoot accurately.
The Mini-14, accuracy is non-existent. They tend to shoot pattrens rather than groups.
The 10/22 & 77/22, have basically set the standard as far as accuracy in rimfires. Fabulous guns.

Overall, my experiences with most Rugers, those I own and those I have worked on, have been favorable. Some had to have major work, like pillar bedding, free floating, triggers, handloading, etc., to get them as accurate as possible, and some as simple as just finding that one sweet load it likes. Reliability and function has been superb. Could not tell about Ruger's customer service, because I have never need it. IMO, Ruger's are not as accurate as Savage's out of the box, not as pleasing to the eye as Remington, Browning, or Winchester, but definately worth consideration when comtemplating a new purchase.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

I had a Ruger M77 MkII .30.06 Laminated/Stainless. It was a beautiful gun but no matter what load I tried 2.5-3" is all it would do. I think I just got a bad apple. I know several people who have had great luck w/ Ruger. Maybe I'll try another sometime in the future.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 AM

I now own 5 (well 3 actually my sons own 2) Rugers, 4 M77s and a #1. 3 of the 4 77s are the older tang safety models. I had problems with my 250 Savage the first summer I owned it (1980). Ruger fixed it and I have never had another issue. They are not the most accurate firearms I own.

Two months ago, my wife handed me a MKII in 7x57. Wouldn't have been my first choice in both rifle or caliber but I'll not look a gift horse. I have put 5 or so boxes of ammo through it thus far and to say the least, I am very pleased. This rifle shoots core-lots to an inch or slightly above without any tinkering.

From what I have read on the 'net' and seen in person, I do believe the newer Rugers are more accurate as a group than the old. I can't compare apples to apples as I haven't owned the same cailbers in both models but the new Ruger far outshoots the other 3. If this is represetative of Ruger, there will be more in my safe in the future.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also owned a MKll, M77 all weather in 7mm with a Leupold Vari-XII 4-12. I owned it for 5 months, my brother was in need of cash and I bought it from him for $180. He bought it new and used it one season. I bought it with the argreement that it was a loan and when he paid me back the $180 I would give him back his gun. He ended up buying a new rifle and told me to keep it. I didn't kill a elk that year with my bow so I took it with me on a late season (December) spike only meat hunt. Thats the only time I have used a 7mm to kill an elk and it did a good job. In January I traded it in at a Gun Show for a part payment on a new in the box Browning Gold. I onlyy traded it because I was left handed and it was right handed. I am no gun expert but it seemed like a very well made gun. To bad it wasn't left hand. But still it was a great deal, with the trade I only had to come up with $250 to buy my Gold 10 Gauge.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The #1, generally takes a lot work to get it to shoot accurately.
We have several #1's and they all shoot excellent. We have a 25-06 that will pattern 3 shots in a single hole depending on which ammo we shoot in it. W/ factory ammo it will still shoot less than MOA.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a m77 mkII vt in a .220 swift . A $35.00 trigger job and our in buisness. I have savage, browning and winchester and I find myself always pulling the ruger to shoot for fun. I have practiced shooting at 500 yards at 20 oz soda bottles filled with water for along time. And I can say that it will do that as good as any rifle I own.

Quick Reply: Ruger is underrated!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.