Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Picked up a Used Mossberg 695 with Leupold VX-II--STIFF TRIGGER >

Picked up a Used Mossberg 695 with Leupold VX-II--STIFF TRIGGER

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Picked up a Used Mossberg 695 with Leupold VX-II--STIFF TRIGGER

Old 04-05-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Picked up a Used Mossberg 695 with Leupold VX-II--STIFF TRIGGER

After hunting season in Illinois I went to my local pawn shop here in town. A friend that works there told me about some nice slug guns with rifled barrels. I went and found a mossberg 695 bolt action with a leupold VX-11 1-4x20 scope attached to it. The shop owner said I could have it for 200.00--needless to say I snatched it up. Shoot the scope alone is over 250-275.00.

I checked the serial # and it is something like 600#'s past the recall of these guns a few years ago. So I'm safe there.

So I finally got some time to shoot the gun and my first shot was pulled off the paper because of the heavy trigger pull. I then adjusted my thought process and shot in high at 40 yards. I then fired the gun at 50 yards with the lightfield slugs (these will be my hunting rounds) and found that at 50 yards the gun was putting the slugs at the top of the ring of the bulls eye. Great--and at 97 yards it is in the bulls eye. Zero adjustment on the scope--perfect.

What is not perfect however is the trigger pull--it FEELS like it is over 8 pounds. I took it to a retired gunsmith who is going to adjust to hopefully 3-5 pounds. My question is--will this gun have an adjustable trigger, or will I have to just grin and bear down (on the trigger)?

I mainly bowhunt and this is my first year getting involved in gunhunting--both in shotgun and muzzleloaders.

Thanks for any assistance.

Paul
Old 04-05-2005, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Picked up a Used Mossberg 695 with Leupold VX-II--STIFF TRIGGER

I have a 695 and the trigger pull is 9 1/2 pounds. I contacted mossberg, and they claim their is nothing that can be done about it. I have taken it to two gunsmiths, and neither of them will touch it. What bothers me more than the trigger pull, is the ported barrel. I shot 2 does with it last season. Both on friday of the second season. My ears rang for two weeks. It is a lot louder than any other slug gun I have ever fired. And it still kicks pretty good. Good luck with your smith. If he gets it adjusted safely, let me know his name. He can work on mine.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

All ported barrels bring the report more back at the shooter. It is a trade off. It's louder, but supposedly kicking less.

You got a GREAT deal on that gun. If you wind up absolutely unhappy with the trigger, I'll give ya two hundred for it and you won't be out anything.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 04-05-2005, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt
You got a GREAT deal on that gun. If you wind up absolutely unhappy with the trigger, I'll give ya two hundred for it and you won't be out anything.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Matt--for the gun--sure. No problem, but the scope stays with me. [8D][:-]
Old 04-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Anyone else have any info?
Old 04-07-2005, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

I have a 695 and the trigger pull is 9 1/2 pounds. I contacted mossberg, and they claim their is nothing that can be done about it. I have taken it to two gunsmiths, and neither of them will touch it. What bothers me more than the trigger pull, is the ported barrel. I shot 2 does with it last season. Both on friday of the second season. My ears rang for two weeks. It is a lot louder than any other slug gun I have ever fired. And it still kicks pretty good. Good luck with your smith. If he gets it adjusted safely, let me know his name. He can work on mine.
Longrifle,

I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith and he must be a magician. He told me that it was a bugger, but that he got the trigger to 3 1/2 pounds. Wow, he got rid of the trigger creep and it is a crisp pull. Reminds me of my omega.

Paul