Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tikka Rifles >

Tikka Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka Rifles

Old 04-12-2005, 05:14 PM

Default RE: Tikka Rifles

I just bought a Sako M995 30/06 that was used. I could have bought a Tikka T3 for the same price. My Sako has what looks to be a fiberglass stock in a light color. I am not sure if I made the right choice, as the Sako has a 24" barrel and seems kind of heavy. Does anyone know anything about the Sako M995? I can't find anything on the internet about it.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's funny how literally 100's of thousands of law enforcement officers and civilians alike rely on polymer framed semi-automatic handguns for the defense of their lives, yet the same polymer used on a bolt action rifle used almost exclusively for hunting non-dangerous game is a major turnoff and quality issue.
Ha, yea that is sort of ironic isn't it. I love the people who blast Tikkas for the supposed potential fragility of it's two polymer parts and then turn around and buy a rifle with a stock made completely out of synthetic material. And why do they like the synthetic stock? Cause it's so much more durable and weather resistent than wood. WTF? LOL!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:23 AM
bigcountry

Ha, yea that is sort of ironic isn't it. I love the people who blast Tikkas for the supposed potential fragility of it's two polymer parts and then turn around and buy a rifle with a stock made completely out of synthetic material. And why do they like the synthetic stock? Cause it's so much more durable and weather resistent than wood. WTF? LOL
Its not just that. Its just they had a superior produce product before. Guys this is our hobby. We just don't take it as far as it needs to be. We take it over the top. If this was the first product Tikka put out, I would say, its priced about right and an ok bargain for some who it appeals too. But when you step down in products, its kinda hard.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

We take it over the top. If this was the first product Tikka put out, I would say, its priced about right and an ok bargain for some who it appeals too. But when you step down in products, its kinda hard.
That's true, but you have to look at it based on market share. The Tikka rifles are meant to be high value/low cost rifles, and they are already at a disadvantage because of import tarriffs and such as it is, yet they are competing with rifles like the Savage, Winchester Super Shadow, Remington ADL/SPS, Ruger M77 MkII and the Weatherby Vanguard (also imported). In order to compete in that price class, and still produce a rifle of comparable or superior quality at a price that is comparable to the U.S. made brands, they had to cut costs without sacrificing quality. Polymer magazines and bolt shrouds and using one action length with different bolt stops are just two steps smart steps that keep costs down but quality and function up. Like I said, judged objectively and given the proven toughness of polymers today, it could easily be said that the durability, corrosion resistance and light weight of a plastic magazine outweighs the simple fact that it is plastic. Unfortunately, since Tikka isn't playing on a level field, if they were to use the more expensive materials and processes to make all metal parts, not only would the T3 "Lite" not be so light (less than 6.5lbs w/o scope), but it would cost $700-800 instead of $450-600.

Mike
Old 04-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

driftrider, good posts. My compliments to you.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree. Drift. You would make a good lawyer. I would hire you but then you would have fool for a client. Or something like that.

Tom
Old 04-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree. Drift. You would make a good lawyer.
It's funny that my mom has told me the same thing on more than one occasion. Let's just say my relationship with my folks during my teenage years was a bit...rockier than normal. It doesn't make mom and dad any happier when you argue with them...and win!

I actually considered law school as a career option, but then I realized that I have no business whatsoever in the legal profession because my conscience and sense of personal integrity would prevent me from functioning sucessfully in our legal system as it exists today.

Mike
Old 04-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

With all that said, I won't apologize for personal preferences. I like wood and metal in my rifles. I would love to have one of the old Tikka Whitetail models instead of the T-3. I would probably opt for the Weatherby Vanguard sub-MOA over the Tikka. Or buy another Sako (a real one).
Old 04-15-2005, 05:19 PM

i have a tikka t3 lite in 25-06 and can cover a 100 yard 5 shot group with a dime. it is without a doubt the most accurate gun i own!!!
Old 04-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have a tikka t3 lite in 25-06 and can cover a 100 yard 5 shot group with a dime. it is without a doubt the most accurate gun i own!!!
Since the Tikka haters seem to have left us I will respond to your post on their behalf.

Well first only a 2000 dollar custom gun is really a real gun so what you have can't be any good. Just by virtue of the fact that you own and like a rifle that costs less than 1000 dollars means you are illiterate white trash like me and spend all your free time trying to pick up women in Wal-Mart parking lots. The groups you think are so tight at 100 yards are actually an optical illusion caused from prolonged exposure to a gun with plastic parts on it. No cheap gun can really shoot that good. Any deer you shoot with this rifle will not really die but only pretend to be dead as it is not a real gun. Of course hang glider hunting in 20 below zero weather is out of the question with a Tikka because the plastic on it will explode and kill you in those conditions.

What you should do is go buy a 1200 dollar rifle and then immediately send it to a gunsmith so he can completely rework everything on it. Custom barrel, custom trigger, glass bed the action, free float the barrel, etc, etc, etc. Then when you get it back it will shoot a 5 shoot group at 100 yards that you can cover with a dime. BUT NOW that group will no longer be an optical illusion because you are using a real gun.

I hope I pretty much covered all the basics there since the Tikka haters weren't here to do it themselves. I'm sure they could have explained it much better than me but I think I summed it up pretty well.

Quick Reply: Tikka Rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.